Sunday, April 9, 2017

Sorrow, and one Sunday snippet...


in which our plucky heroine says goodbye to a friend...

Tell the people you love that you love them. DO it now! I was riding my bike to the grocery store when my phone pinged me. As I read the words on the tiny screen I started crying and cursing... This morning my friend Russ died, too early. He had gone through a serious medical situation and was recovering, had been moved out of the CICU and into rehab, when an aneurysm took him suddenly away. All his friends are shocked and sad, he leaves behind his lovely wife and two young daughters and a lifetime of unfinished work and poetry and song and storytelling. He was a true bard, and a kind, creative, thoughtful man. I am sorry I wasn't able to go see him in hospital, (thinking to self that the chance of sharing possible germs from my cough were not worth the danger of sharing a viral infection, and that there would be plenty of time... later...) The summerlands are brighter now, but our own world is darker for the loss.
※※※

Using the beautiful paper that Drusa bought me last week to make a decorative mat for this small vintage Japanese woodblock... I've been waiting to frame this for over a year, as the size is not standard for the frames that show up second hand. Finally one did. The kitchen artworks here at Acorn Cottage have a common thread in that they all contain some of that vivid tomato-red color; when I found this woodblock print online at Washi Arts, I knew it had to come live here...
※※※

April SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 pottery buttons mat/frame woodblockyard waste bin
2 soap dish xpaper recycle bin
3 painted bowl x -
4 geometric flower holder x -
5 3 enamels for Ex x
6 - x x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
※※※

4 comments:

  1. Sorry for your loss. The picture is beautiful. Hugs Ruthie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the loss of your friend. The picture is beautiful. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you remember when you got an anonymously gifted present in the mail? I don't know if you knew or guessed, but I'm almost entirely sure that it was from Russ. He liked to send little secret gifts and postcards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think the odd little kitty dish and cup were from Russ!? OMG... that would explain why they were posted from NPDX... I had no idea

      Delete