Friday, April 21, 2017

Friday fragments


Our plucky heroine wants to make a tabletop warp weighted loom for tablet weaving... like this one ➡

Weighting the individual groups of yarn from each card solves the issue of twist buildup, which is always an annoying issue and even more problematic when doing irregular turning with some cards moving forwards and some backwards in the same shed. I followed Charles Lawton-Brains advice and sought out something where it was used a lot and hence quite inexpensive.

The ceramic fence wire insulators I ordered arrived today. I intend to use these as my loom weights for warp weighted tablet weaving... The underside of the 30 porcelain "spools" was rough in places along the edge of the glaze; I used my trusty Alundum stone to grind down any sharp bits, so they will be safe to handle and not snag on any of my weaving yarn.
.
※※※

April SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 pottery buttons mat/frame woodblockyard waste bin
2 soap dish mend grey dresspaper recycle bin
3 painted bowl taxes done paper recycle bin
4 geometric flower holder x bag to Goodwill
5 3 enamels for Ex x
6 Darylee overdress x x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
※※※

2 comments:

  1. Amazed at your skills!
    I just saw tablet weaving for the first time yesterday at the "Gathering of the Guilds" at OCC. I'd read about it, but it's really fascinating to see. She was doing it on an inkle loom, so I guess the finished product is more narrow than yours will be/could be. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
    The 'Gathering' show was terrific - very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my! I was at the Gathering of the Guilds yesterday as well!! Tablet weaving is usually used to make narrow bands, most of the things that I have woven that way are 1" wide or less. I use it for trim on my Viking Age clothing for re-enactment... plus it is a very relaxing activity once it is set up.

      Delete