Wednesday, April 5, 2017

everything and the kitchen sink


in which our plucky heroine embraces useful...

not that I ever stopped keeping company with useful, since I have long espoused the William Morris credo to "have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful"...

The small ceramic pieces from the free workshop I took were returned to us, properly fired and shiny glazed, at the last class Tuesday afternoon; even more obvious to me now that creating results that match up with the ideas envisioned is the result of both innate talent and quantities of experience (neither of which I have in this medium) It was a lot of fun though!

I am actually rather pleased with how the buttons came out, and think that they may work well for future knitwear

As for my attempts at flower holders... well, the round one came out looking more like a childs "ashtray for daddy" than I expected, though the geometric one does look a bit more "interestingly sculptural" and I plan on going out in the front yard to search for wee flowers to put in them both just to see how they look in use:

Tiny sculptural flower holder in situ on the entryway shelf, holding an assortment of wee fleurs from the front yard. I am happy with this, it does exactly what I had hoped it would!

the kitchen sink with my new handmade pottery paraphernalia: a painted dish to hold the green scrubbie, and the triffid soap dish... I am REALLY HAPPY that our class instructor somehow managed to stick one of the three tripod legs (that I broke off while trying to paint it with underglaze) back on to the soap holder with glaze.

All in all, I have a much greater appreciation of the honed skill of the ceramic artists I know and the ones I follow online
※※※

April SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 pottery buttons --
2 soap dish x-
3 painted bowl x -
4 geometric flower holder x -
5 -x x
6 - x x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
※※※

1 comment: