Thursday, March 16, 2017

Thursday thoughts


in which our plucky heroine enjoys the softer spring weather...

Last week I managed to get green onions planted in the upright planter just off the front porch. It is easy to start new plants by simply cutting the bottom inch or two off a grocery store bunch and planting them out one at a time. By doing this, one or two bunches of green onions can be kept growing, if not indefinitely, at the very least for close to a year or more, increasing allium self-sufficiency.

The beautiful planter box is all made from salvage: it involved some leftover pieces of cedar fencing and some 2x lumber. The bottom is the galvanised mesh you can just see bent up in the front, and the box is lined with fiberglass screening which keeps the dirt in and lets the water drain freely. The tall wooden legs rest on leftover bits of stone or brick to level the planter just under the drip edge of the porch roof.

Currently, a wodge of bird netting is draped over the planter box (visible as sparkley mesh in photo) to keep rogue squirrels from destroying my planting. I will have to think about what will serve well as the little green onions grow taller.
※※※

The snowdrops are almost ended for the year, and their place in my heart is now filled with the small white violets, the next spring blossom here. There are some in the front garden bed, and small clumps mixed into the front lawn, which every year I mean to dig up and move into other garden beds, and always forget to...
When I went to put the hens to bed tonight, I noticed that there was just the tiniest hint of green on the apple tree in the back yard. Maybe this year I can acquire another fruit tree for the back yard, maybe a quince, or a pear to replace the one I lost...
※※※

My black/cream marled hemp knit top is finished. I was hand stitching down the hemline when I noticed this scrap from cutting out the pieces was all curled up into a cord, just like they describe in the third Alabama Chanin book. I decided that it would be a good addition to the neckline, just a tiny bit more embellishment, really quick to stitch into place.
It's basically a very simple "reads as grey" knit top, and is quite comfortable to wear. The hemp knit is surprisingly warm for how thin it is. I am giving up on my initial idea to overdye it a medium brown, since as is it fits in well with the current swap, as well as under all my other pinafores.
※※※

March SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 grey pinafore green onions planted-
2 2 stencils x-
3 black/cream knit top x x
4 - x x
5 -x x
6 - x x
7 - x x
8 - x x
9 - x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
※※※

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Ruthie... my long range goal is to figure out what kinds of everyday foods are easy to generate here in my yard, and grow them... green onions are a staple, but buying a whole bunch, often they don't get used as fast as needed before some spoil, whereas if I grow them in my yard, I can cut just as many or as few as I need at one time

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such an eye for beauty - your clothes, your house, your yard. You set such a good example of "how can I make this better/more attractive/more useful".

    ReplyDelete