Monday, March 27, 2017

Giant sheep, peg people, and a visit from Blue Cedar House


In which assorted friends visit our plucky heroine, and we survive the wool weasels...

Forsythia is such a classic sign of springtime; this one grew from a wee salvaged sprig planted in the parking strip, to a splendid shrub that cheers me every year! (now I just need to find a bit of flowering quince to keep it company, those two being my spring shrubbery icons...)
※※※

Over the weekend: spent time doing some tidying in the workroom. Got rid of most of the empty cardboard boxes, which pretty much filled the recyle bin. Yard is much tidier, weeded, grass mowed. Removed dead euphorbia shrubbery, which pretty much filled the yard waste bin. Had new tires and tubes on bike, and general bicycle cleanup, so I can now ride the bike that has baskets for shopping. Filled two round planter pots so I can plant peas. Plus finished making the needlefelted sheep and painted peg people playset for Mindy. It was a busy weekend.

the yoga class for peg people, they just love doing headstands:
This was my solution for painting clear coat on them, first clear coat their little heads and upper bodies, let dry, then clear coat their bottom halves and balance them on thread spools until their nethers are dry.

The multicultural peg people children - part of the playset that M asked me to make for her Sunday school class... I thought using different skin tones, but not to attempt specific "ethnic clothing" but just go with a variety of visual patterns and designs, would be the most appropriate way to support the ideas she was asking for...one friends comment was "I love these! They don't normalize white and exoticise everyone else"

The multicultural peg people adults + "Good Shepherd" - part of the playset that M asked me to make for her Sunday school class... All the peg people are so small that painting them is a bit of a challenge, but it was a fun project, and I was rather charmed by how tiny changes in where the eye dots were placed create such individuality of expression!

.
The playset needed to include a small flock of sheep. I ended up needlefelting the sheep over a framework made from pipecleaner wound about with wool floss, which was pretty difficult. I was reassured that the children she teaches will not be as disturbed as I am by the fact that the sheep are quite the size of small horses, compared to the peg people.

Somehow, it was decided that the sheep were not particularly ovine in appearance, and while to me they ended up looking more like dogs, the consensus was that they looked rather like weasels. Or maybe it was just that the idea of "wool weasels" was just terribly amusing. There was much joking about said rogue critters all weekend by the three adults, substituting "wool weasel" for other nouns or various concepts in our conversation, with hilarious results. This was not decreased when on a trip to the hardware and garden center we discovered the "Garden Weasel" tool... and I decreed that the "wool weasels of war" were all armed with their trusty garden weasels. I know that would certainly strike fear into my heart, but then I find ordinary weasels quite scary enough to begin with...
※※※

March SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 grey pinafore green onions plantedpaper recycle bin
2 2 stencils bike tires and tubesyard waste bin
3 black/cream knit top bicycle brakes dead bike tires
4 grey/blue knit top x x
5 peg people playsetx x
6 needlefelted sheep x x
7 - x x
8 - x x
9 - x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x

※※※

2 comments:

  1. I got to see the peg people and sheep in person, and they are awesomely adorable!

    ReplyDelete