Saturday, February 4, 2017

under the wire


in which our plucky heroine is sick and tired of being sick and tired...

"Pace yourself. Doggedly master the art of slow, incremental magic."
- Rob Brezsny, Free Will Astrology, week of February 2
※※※

Third times the charm, I hope. My attempts to knit self a new shoulder shawlette have been unsuccessful so far, for different reasons. Attempt #1 ended up a strange sea-slug shape, and was not really wearable. Attempt #2, while a beautiful shape in the abstract, turned out to be almost as bunchy when wrapped around a not flat human body. Fortunately, I didn't actually knit all the way to the finish on that version, but instead threaded a life line and tried it on, as I was beginning to have doubts. Ride the nopetopus, version #2.

Am beginning on Attempt #3, using my beloved Noro, but the shaping of my ravenwing shawl instead of the feather and fan comfort shawl. The curved shawl wings should lie more nicely along my shoulders with less bunching around the neck edge.
※※※

Do you remember back in 2010, the year long preservation challenge "Can Jam" that Tigress sponsored? Well it was both fun and educational, and added just a bit more resilience to many a skillset. This year Marisa over at Food in Jars is sponsoring a similar year long food preservation challenge - the "Mastery Challenge". Since I missed the entire first month, (and it was marmalade, one of my favorites!) I shall attempt to play catch up, make some citrusy goodness to stock the pantry shelves, and see what else I can learn as the year goes on...
※※※

After last month, which was excellent in the declutter/organise/repair aspect and fairly minimal in the things made aspect, it might be a good idea to focus attention on column #1 in February, should I ever, in fact, be done with being sick, (at least enough to run the scissors, the sewing machine, and the torch...)

February SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 - turtleneck re-edged-
2 - --
3 - - -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -
13 - - -
14 - - -
※※※

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you're still under the weather! Glad we're not in line for the snow; past events probably didn't help with the 'smutz' you're dealing with now. Can't wait to see that shawl - good on you for finding what seems to be a good solution!

    Love the Food in Jars challenge! I bought her book several years ago, when we still lived in Wisconsin, and used a bunch of the recipes. Now that we're here - with less storage space and a weight-loss challenge... I guess I won't sign up. But I may did out that book again - loved the small batch approach!

    ReplyDelete