in which our plucky heroine enjoys some progress and distraction...
My dear Blue Cedar House pals came down for the weekend, which is always a treat! We managed to get a few projects completed, and made plans for a number of others, which
Another really fun activity was that young E called ahead and said that she wanted to try out block printing. As one of the "aunties" I am just delighted to be able to share some handicraft time, particularly since L decided she also wanted to try...
By the end of the afternoon, they both had successfully completed a 44 inch strip of printed trim; the intention is that some of the new SCA underdresses for this summers camping season will be decorated with their own work. I am as pleased as they are, and the idea that we include some kind of craft project in future visits was greeted with great enthusiasm!
I set them up with some ironed strips of the same shot cotton I use for making trim, and my assorted already carved trim stamps. I've not really done much handicraft with youngsters, and was impressed with how much they were able to do.
Thora was really good at encouraging L, who is just a bit younger and found it a little difficult to line the tiny stamps up. There really is a lot of hand eye coordination involved! I realised that the eraser end of a pencil makes a good roundel shaped stamp, which both girls took advantage of,. and which I am adding to my drawer of wee stamps for future use.
Lest the adults feel left out, the sheepskin border on Thora's hat is almost completed. This odd fragment of beautiful fur is unusually tough, so it took quite a bit of effort to sew.
Rather than wear my hands out with the stitching, I did just enough to ascertain that the concept of stitching on edge partially inside the hat, and wrapping it over to the outside as a wide border, was going to work just as I hoped, creating a kind of furry "gasket" around the edge of the hat, which will make it delightfully toasty warm and snug when worn.
Once the fur border is stitched in place, the only remaining part of this project will be to fabricate a tiny metal "hat cone" to enclose and decorate the very top center of the hat, where all five of the embroidered panels come together. Should be done in time for when we start up our outdoor activities in May...
February SMART goals
February SMART goals
|#||THINGS MADE||THINGS FIXED||THINGS GONE|
|1||salted lemons||turtleneck re-edged||bag to Goodwill|
|2||Noro shawlette||sweater button repair||-|
|3||new chook ramp||gown neckline repair||-|
|5||-||moved chook yard||-|