Sunday, January 8, 2017

several Sunday snippets


in which our plucky heroine attempts to raise her spirits by raising her activity level...

...at least as much as is possible when the outdoors is a sheet of ice. Went as far as Green Zebra yesterday to pick up extra produce and a container of milk, but then decided against any further travel since the snow was picking up. We didn't get anywhere near as much as places further south, or higher up; the grass is visible under the snow, here, but there is ice layers all over the place (this afternoon I took the flat end shovel, and cracked away all the ice over the concrete next to the back door, so as to render chook patrol less fraught with danger)

In the interest of starting 2017 off in a positive direction, I am going to be offering Enameling Workshops here at Acorn Cottage, on the weekends of January 28th/29th, and February 4th/5th... anyone out there interested and available at either of those times? All materials and supplies would be provided, as well as knowledgeable instruction. Cost for the workshop will be $250. Completion of a workshop allows you to come to my open studio times for further fun with enamel...
I intend to to offer workshops here at Acorn Cottage throughout the year on various skills, not only cloisonne, or painting enamel, but other jewelry techniques, as well as sewing and decorative textile arts. Some will be whole weekend workshops, others for either a day, or an evening. Is there anything you would like to learn from me? drop me a line...

Spent almost two hours this morning working on the black/cream wool pinafore, as my next SWAP garment. Decided that timing how long it takes to complete will be helpful in future estimates of sewing commissions. I am suspecting that my rough estimate of about four hours labor is likely to be close. So far I am up to 2¾ hrs, and still have all the edge binding, and attaching the skirt to the bodice yet to go; tempting to just go on and finish it today...


my interpretation of "wintery mix" (where snow starts to turn back to rain and vice versa)...


January SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 black/cream pinafore brown pinafore hemexpired medicines
2 - -paper recycle
3 - - -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -
13 - - -
14 - - -

2 comments:

  1. Allison, although distance and $$ make it not possible to attend any of your classes/workshops, I would love to attend, as I believe your teaching style would be like your writing style, very well thought out and encouraging. I would love to meet you in person someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww Laura, thank you! There are many folks I get to know online that I wish I could meet in person, but as you say distance and $$ make that difficult. If you are ever in PDX I would be delighted to meet you in person. I do try to include some information about how I do things here on my blog, but of course that is not the same as a teaching workshop. I have had someone suggest that I figure out how to teach online, and I will be thinking about if that would be somehow possible...

    ReplyDelete