Sunday, January 1, 2017

goalposts for 2017


... in which our plucky heroine takes an annual look at the distance a year makes...

Last year at this time I wrote: I continue forward at what often feels like a snails pace ... and remembering that four years ago I was waiting for the surgery that would give me a chance to continue being alive...
Almost five years out from my cancer diagnosis, I am still grateful to be here, and never take it for granted. I get frustrated at how slowly it seems that I make any progress as far as the eightfold spokes of my life, and continue to remind self that "incremental progress is still progress..."

#1 vocation/avocation -  I did almost no only a little teaching in 2016, a few leatherworking classes, and some enameling open studio time,  and no major projects. I did create a number of delightful smaller projects, some of which were really pushing my ability beyond what I thought possible. Overall, my career remained stagnant and minimal. I did however, complete over 18 charter paintings, and three original charter masters which brought me great satisfaction even if no renumeration.  In 2017 I will actively seek more teaching opportunities, and will refurbish my neglected website or build a new one. In addition, I will remain open-minded about economic opportunities.

#2 health - (in 2015 I injured my right knee badly) in 2016 my left leg developed achilles tendon bursitis, so my mobility remains compromised, despite valiant efforts on my part to encourage recovery. I do have a pedometer function on my new clever gizmo phone, so have been able to measure walking distance again. With great effort I have lost almost ten pounds. In 2017 I will eat more vegetables, drink more water, continue tracking both walking and weight, and continue water exercise and as many other healing modalities as I can arrange.

#3 personal development/education - In 2016 I did only one thing that was actively educational, in that I took a workshop from Jarl Sir Styrkarr at Egils, on Damasquinado de Oro. I also did a great deal of charter painting, and began to focus some attention on scribal arts, and have begun to learn calligraphy. In 2017 I will strive to remember that I enjoy being a student as much or more than I enjoy teaching, and attempt to find one or more ways to indulge myself with that pleasure. I will complete the original scroll I have committed to produce by Grand Thing.

#4 family/friends - pretty much always this is the part of my life where I could say: keep on with doing well... In 2017 I will do my best to continue being a good friend and family member.

#5 household/environment -  In 2016 I continued decluttering my supplies, tools and materials, as well as household goods, with the goal to reach the end of decluttering, I feel like great progress has been made, that the house is noticeably less cluttered. In 2017 I intend to transition to maintenance and organisation, which will have me reach my actual goal to have the household be a support to my creative endeavors.

#6 romance/personal relationships Helplessly hoping, I still wanted a local companion, still had no clue what small steps to take, where to begin, and felt more hopeless than ever... In 2017 I have no idea what I can do to make any changes in this. 

#7 finances - In 2016 my income continued pitiful as my injured legs made movement as well as standing difficult and painful. I did, with help from my online coach, figure out what a liveable income would be, which will hopefully help me set new goals. In 2017 I will strive to increase my income to a more self-sustaining level, assisted by the fact that I am now sixty-two.

#8 fun/recreation - in 2016 I attended some SCA events, hosted a few gatherings here at Acorn Cottage, and enjoyed a three week visit to my east coast family in September. In 2017 I will continue to be active socially, will make a special effort to visit friends outside of the city, and also re-start Crafternoon gatherings once a month.


I would say that overall the eight spoke status report shows a slight but definitely positive trend. "Household/environment" continues to show the most improvement, with the help of my beloved Blue Cedar House pals, and my fabulous online coach. "Fun/recreation" had a few out of town trips that were truly a joy, both SCA camping, and another cross-country train trip to visit my family for most of September.  About the other spokes: career, health, finances, romance/personal relationships...these are aspects of my life that I'd like to pay attention to, but have almost no clue as to what handles to grasp and move to change things.  I shall have to call that progress, even if not as much progress as this impatient girl would like.

2 comments:

  1. Alison, what a lovely and realistic view you present! I continue to be amazed at your creativity in those small projects you share. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw thanks Cherie... Glad that you enjoy the wee glimpses into my everyday life

    ReplyDelete