Tuesday, January 17, 2017

a dream and other Tuesday tidbits.


in which our plucky heroine has a very vivid and unusual dream. Wandering inside a store like Powells, only in Japan. And they also sold fabric on one whole floor. My delight was all in browsing the aisles and racks full of beautiful fabrics. Not in finding but looking. Was entirely unlike any other visit to dreamland, and an area I had not discovered before.
※※※

After spending a huge chunk of the day stocking up on some extra groceries in case the predicted ice storm hits us hard, I was thinking about sewing, but decided instead to continue my efforts with the "library zone" here at Acorn Cottage. After previous efforts had the bookcase all tidy, the remaining work was to clear away the random items stacked on the top... That took about an hour.

When my coach asked what I wanted to do next, I said "tomorrow, how about the shadow box?" She thought that would be fairly simple and suggested that we go ahead with it tonight...

Well, it contained rather a lot of tiny trinkets, as well as larger artifacts and an astonishing number of rocks. I often find interesting rocks and bring them home, and apparently this is a common behavior in people that struggle with clutter, or at least the ones my coach has worked with... I sorted out what I wanted to keep, what needed to live somewhere else, like the metronome belongs with the music things, etc. and what things were no longer resonant in my life... After another several hours, I can confidently call the library zone DONE!
The arrangement in the shadowbox is temporary, and I'd like to find some new paper to line it with, as the old paper had become faded and patchy. The top of the bookcase will just stay empty for now; though my original intention is for the area between the upper and lower bookcase to be used to display interesting or seasonal things,  each artifact I have tried to put there looks really odd, small, and isolated. I'd like to add some lighting underneath the upper bookcase shelf, and think about how best to use the newly free space.
※※※

You can bring a chicken water, but you can't make them drink! My hens are goofy. I brought them nice fresh slightly warmed water today, because as always, when the weather is this cold, the water freezes solid pretty quickly. Did they avail themselves of said nice liquid water? nope! They decided that eating snow was better! If they do it again tomorrow, I will try and photograph them, with their little beaks all snowy.
※※※

January SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 black/cream pinafore brown pinafore hemexpired medicines
2 toile for knit pants reframed charterpaper recycle
3 patches for march Wastekeep bid bag of papers
4 - charters on wall bag of papers
5 -topmost shelf cleared bag to Goodwill
6 - EBT application in bag to Goodwill
7 - bookcase tidied bag to Goodwill
8 - textile shelf leveled bag for Powells
9 - shadowbox tidied bag for Powells
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -
13 - - -
14 - - -
※※※

7 comments:

  1. Well done, friend! Re stones: I love rocks and sticks. One stick displayed on my wall is the stick my mother used to poke clothes into the wringer. Another stick, larger than the first, rests on two thick stones (samples of countertops from when my bosses remodeled their kitchen). I fancy the larger stick with its supports is reminiscent of a Japanese gate called a Torii gate. Your younger readers may not have any idea of how the smaller stick was used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know that other folks I know also bring home things like sticks and stones... I have never myself used a wringer washer, but I know what they are and that the wringer is something to respect. I have used a rolling mill, both electric and manual ones, which is rather like a wringer, but used to squeeze metal down into a thinner gauge. Also a gizmo to respect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We who pick up rocks continue an ancient practice:
    http://www.seeker.com/neanderthals-eye-for-bling-revealed-by-unique-rock-stashed-in-cave-2197881458.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another rock-picker-upper here ;-) Never occurred to me to bring sticks home, but I have a lot of rocks. Sometimes they're useful as pattern weights, but mostly they sit around and wonder just how they wound up in Oregon!

    Alison, have you been to SG in the last couple of days? I have gotten a 404 error since Saturday/Sunday. Tried it on the tablet, thinking maybe the laptop had gotten its cookies crumbled, but had the same result ;-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SG has been down for days, it isn't you or your various gizmos... From what I have read over on PR, DragonLady is working on getting the site back up... I know, I miss SG terribly!!

      Delete
  5. Good grief - I forgot to say just how wonderful your library zone looks! I like books in almost any arrangement, but your shelves are quite enviable because all of the books are there together. Mine are in a couple of different places, although except for sewing reference books, are at least in the same room ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joyce! Eventually I may move the sewing and textile references to the textile room aka guest room aka small bedroom, but for now they are all here in the library zone

      Delete