Friday, December 9, 2016

dipped in ice



in which our plucky heroine remembers that discretion is the better part of valor, and chooses to stay at home...

this morning the edges and tops of everything were coated with ice, and the changing temperatures added icicles as a fringe benefit

The apple tree in the backyard, slow to lose it's leaves, appears dipped in a drippy layer of sugar syrup. This is the half of the tree that mistakenly produced a second flush of blossoms in August and then wee apples at the very tail end of the summer. One of said green apples barely visible behind the cluster of iced leaves.

Ooops... tired girl forgot to bring in the chook water last night after shutting them in their house. It didn't take long to melt it with hot water in the kitchen sink, and replace the frozen ice with warm water for the chooks. I don't know, however, what (short of forceful action on my part) will entice the hens out of their sleeping quarters... They understandably dislike the slippery cold environment. Even my addition of raisin bread to their normal breakfast of hen pellets was deemed unworthy

More ice on the apple tree, the layer is about a quarter inch thick

Temperature this morning at about 8 AM...Everything beyond my covered front walkway is a sheet of lumpy ice. My initial plan for the day, to get together with Marya and go a second time to the Chinese garden downtown during their 9 Free Days promotion, is not going to happen. I don't want to try walking out there anywhere today, even with my Yaktrax on... just getting out to the chooks in the backyard is enough challenge for today!


4 comments:

  1. Over here on SW 165th in Beaverton, it looked very much the same yesterday and this morning. This recent (over a year now!) Wisconsin transplant decided to stay inside. I think we left the Yaktrax in WI, for the new owners of our place there ;-) Despite my need for exercise after the hoo-ha re Afib, I had no desire to test the iciness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. better safe than splatted... it is rather horrid out... I actually put on the Yaktrax this afternoon to go give the hens a bowl with bread and pellets soaked in hot water. My pedometer count for today will be mighty tiny

      Delete
  2. My doctor refers to those low pedometer counts as "cat level". I rather like that, although 492 steps is not what I aspire to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, today I did only about 1400 steps, and yesterday even worse, only about 800... I am hoping that tomorrow there will be enough less ice that I can get out for a real walk

      Delete