Friday, October 14, 2016

Friday fragments


in which our plucky heroine attempts to pick up some assorted pieces...

I am feeling sort of fragmented myself, as this dang unrelenting ankle bursitis/tendonitis is making my everyday life a challenge, not to mention that being in constant pain is rather draining. It has been about seven weeks with little improvement, despite self-care, strengthening exercises, and physical therapy...
:::

This is so awesome... my pal Luz Clara went to France, and she thought of me, and brought me this tiny tin of blue watercolor paint... paint made from WOAD!!! It will be a treat to try using this, and am feeling encouraged to attempt some original calligraphy and illumination artwork, just to do justice to this special material.
:::

Tuesday and Wednesday this week I had Jury Duty, which in this case entailed getting up hella early (like before sunrise) to be downtown at the courthouse by 7AM. There was much sitting around in a large room, watching a video about why doing our civic duty was important, and a lot more sitting around. A few small groups of people were actually called to participate as jurors. On both days we were sent home in the middle of the day, on Tuesday because of demonstrations nearby that were closing down the transit system, and on Wednesday because there were no more jury trials on the docket that day.

Tuesday there was time, once home, to get a first coat of primer on the west wall of the workroom, where the paint former owners applies has been flaking off the shakes. Managed to get this done just in the nick of time, with enough hours for the paint to dry prior to the subsequent arrival of intense rain. Yay me!
:::

Well that was good, just found the missing iron chook door weight, on the roof of the chicken house!?! all I can think is that I must have seen it falling off, put it up there prior to leaving in September, and then promptly forgot all about it... Any other explanation is just too weird... the iron weight has now been painted with matte black Rustoleum, and will be reattached to the chook door when there is a break in the weather.

This is what the iron weight looks like, it is about a foot long,
and was made for me as a gift from my dear friends at White Hart Forge.
:::

So a number of years ago I saw this very clever idea somewhere online: a reflective cycling vest (daytime/nighttime) made from narrow strips, in a kind of loose macrame, (front view & side view) that could be wadded up small enough to fit in a pocket, and simply fit loosely over whatever you were wearing. What I saw was created by a company called dargelos, but before I ever managed to do more than track down a few images, years passed and they stopped even having an online shop.

Today while I was at what is left of RCT, considering purchasing supplies to make a new raincoat, I noticed that they had some 1/2" wide double-sided reflective trim strips... The material is quite spendy at $5 yard, but I was determined to acquire some, hopefully enough for an experimental safety vest. I will first create a flat image showing where to connect the strips, then measure how many yards are needed; am considering cutting the strips 1/4" wide for further compactness and less expense. I don't often ride my bike at night, but additional reflectivity would be an improvement! 

and just because - nighttime/daytime...
:::


October SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 charter #16 primed shakes -
2 rune enamel repainted chookhouse
forged iron weight
-
3 - - -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -
13 - - -
14 - - -
:::

No comments:

Post a Comment