Wednesday, October 5, 2016

A few random bits since my return


in which our plucky heroine returns to the electronic world...

been gone a month from here, with most of September spent on a long visit with family on the Right Coast over 3000 miles from Acorn Cottage. Takes a bit to get back into my everyday life, of chores and work and artistry... Here are a few random bits, now that I am back again - will post the travel photos later this week.
:::

An unexpected phone call let me know that Bill was in Portland, and wanted to drop off a box here for me. What a delightful treat it was to receive this new Sidhefire Arts pottery mug as a gift from my dear friend Ariadne! The wee tiny bas-relief medallion on the mug belly looks quite familiar - a surprising rendition of the running horse that is the main charge on my heraldry. Tea this winter will be extra special...

This gift warms my heart as surely as hot tea warms my middle - the best part of presents is using them and knowing that dear friends were thinking of me when I was far away Here's hoping that there will be many gatherings of friends this winter, and that our conviviality will chase away the outer cold with warm hearts, abundant creativity, and conversation...
:::

Just a few links, to remember, to try, and to be inspired by...
This "milk jug photo studio" idea is a genius concept, and one that I will be trying out. I have been making tiny lunges towards a revised website, and will need better photos of my assorted metalwork and enameling.
Myrna always has a creative take on approaching sewing, and her recent post about applying the philosophy of William Morris to studio decluttering is exactly what I need to do here at Acorn Cottage.
Sometimes, a bit of cheerful whimsey is desperately needed, and this corgi video just makes me smile...
:::

Charter #16, completed... A Sable Gauntlet award*. I had a lot of fun with painting this design, in looking at the two originals I found in this style, and doing my best to add suitable details...

A closer look at one of the horsemen... I was particularly fascinated with the textile patterning in the original manuscripts. If you look at the original period manuscript images** online, it is possible to zoom in and see individual brushstrokes. By looking there, I was inspired to try and paint similar designs on the coat and saddleblanket.

here are some of the details in the 14thC original illumination:

* The Sable Gauntlet charter was designed by HL Tomyris aka Turi Henderson
** original images of Mamluk horsemen can be seen here, and here

:::

The day after I returned from my trip, I heard an unusual bird sound in the front yard, and walked outside, camera in hand, to take a closer look...

a bit closer look and I saw that there was a pair of Northern Flickers in one of the ornamental plum trees.

The two birds were on either side of part of the upper trunk of the tree, and behaving in a way I'd not seen before.

Apparently it is "display behavior" that consists of head-bobbing and weaving from side to side, accompanied by a "wick-a, wick-a" call. On this page, if you scroll down there are an assortment of recordings of flicker sounds, including the "wick-a" sounds...


October SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 charter #16 - -
2 - - -
3 - - -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -
13 - - -
14 - - -
:::

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thank you... it is good to be back

      Delete
  2. Oh, it's nice to see that you're back! And flickers!!! I love flickers. We had a lot of them in WI, but not so much here in Beaverton. I really miss the abundance of birds that graced us there.

    Your painting is really extraordinary. Thank you for sharing.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given how deep in the heart of the city I live, the amount of wildlife is pretty impressive! Thank you for your kindly remarks about my artistry efforts

      Delete
  3. One way to exercise your dog! Happy corgi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That video cheers me whenever I watch it.

      Delete