Tuesday, October 18, 2016

a few more Tuesday tidbits...





As I'd mentioned earlier, I managed to get over to RCT last weekend, and whilst acquiring some raincoat fabric, I also found some of this 1/2" double sided reflective "trim". It doesn't look like much just sitting on the table in the daylight.


I had tossed it onto the pile of fabric in the sewing room, waiting to be put away. Passing by the door to the darkened room I noticed how it gleamed in the light from the hallway... (the reflected light is actually much brighter than my poor camera skills can show)


A bit closer and the effect is still really bright. The lowest strips are the most accurate. My plan is to make a reflective cycling vest made from narrow strips, in a kind of loose macrame, for greater safety on those late evening grocery store jaunts.
:::

I also decided to repair my beloved recombinant intarsia knit sweater (aka your tax dollars at work)*, because the cuffs were getting worn to the point that they were beginning to ravel out. Rather than reknit the cuffs in seed stitch, as I had done on the current sweater fifteen+ years ago, I decided to use 2x2 ribbing and then teach myself how to do an invisible tubular cast off**.
New reknit cuff on the left, original cuff on the right... when I made this sweater to begin with, since all the borders were seed stitch, I did the cuffs to match. I was never happy with how the seed stitch made the cuffs wider instead of being nice and snug around the wrist. This is a good opportunity for me to correct my error. Huzzah for the internets, which make it easy to learn new options. I suspect the newly reknit cuffs will be good for at least another ten years...

* the original sweater was knitted back in 1985, when I was getting ready to move to the PNW, and featured my running horse on the back in intarsia.

Back in 2000, the sweater, which had become rather worn, was taken apart back to the yarn, and Bill plied the yarn into 2-ply from the original Lopi. I then added additonal yarn to have enough to reknit the sweater, and also added acorn and oak leaf motifs to the front as well as the running horse on the back.

I did all this reknitting while I was working for the Census Bureau. They hired folks to work answering phones in the evenings from 5 to 10 PM, and not many folks call govt offices after five. When we finished the various other assigned tasks, we still had to stay there until our shifts were over. I did a lot of knitting.

** invisible tubular cast off in 2x2 ribbing here; and more about invisible tubular cast off (1x1 rib) here
:::

October SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 charter #16 primed shakes pruning apple tree
2 rune enamel repainted chookhouse
forged iron weight
-
3 - re-knit sweater cuffs -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -
13 - - -
14 - - -
:::

1 comment:

  1. I seem to remember an image of a reflective vest made from strips linked in your blog. Or did I just see it in my mind's eye? Every night as I drive home from work I see people in dark clothing, on dark streets, and they aren't very careful of traffic, either. Sometimes I realize I am dressed in dark clothing walking across a dark parking lot. I'd like to try to make such a vest.

    ReplyDelete