It has been a rough week, as our plucky heroine attempts to deal with a sudden bout of bursitis in my left Achilles tendon, which has been making all movement intensely painful. I always forget how much energy being in pain takes, and am quite grateful on a daily basis that I am not Always In Intense Pain.
Fortunately I now have insurance coverage, and have been able to get some medical diagnosis and a referral to physical therapy. All this would have been impossible only a few years ago. Unfortunately the recovery will be fairly slow, but hopefully successful, as I am compliant with doing what I can to increase flexibility and strength and decrease inflammation...
Took a few extra hours over the last week to carve another interstitial 2" sq lino block. I was inspired by this article which showed a 13th C Armenian carved marble tombstone.
I think this block will be useful both to fill in between larger motifs, to use as an occasional decorative detail, and to also create an overall pattern. After trying it out on paper, as shown below, decided to remove the corner dots, which were an experiment on my part. I had hoped that the intersecting corners would make a nice pattern, but they were more irregular than I realised, and also too visually heavy. If it seems like an even tinier interstitial pattern would be useful, can always use the tiny blocks I carved earlier this year.
I rarely go see films, but couldn't miss the chance to see this on a big screen... Kubo and the Two Strings was even better than I hoped... it is going on my short list of films I would watch again. Worth going to see in the theater, on a big screen. Worth supporting Laika, which is our own local stop motion film studio headquartered in Hillsboro. Go see this film, you won't be sorry. Tears, laughter, and some amazing animation!!!
So August, with the big push to declutter the workroom, really brought the THINGS GONE column to a much more pleasing total for the year. In addition, I forgot to include giving away the old wooden windows, which had originally been intended for a creative wall treatment involving replacing all the window glass with mirror glass, which I decided didn't actually seem like a project I wanted to take on. And forgot to include that I switched out the embroidery on the Viking purse from the twin palomino ponies to the Birka style metal lace horse, set with mica, that is intended to refer to my heraldry (in a subtle way) while actually using period techniques. So two things for September that are carryovers from last month...
September SMART goals
|#||THINGS MADE||THINGS FIXED||THINGS GONE|
|1||interstitial block||replaced purse embroidery||old wood windows|