Monday, June 6, 2016

Musings and media Monday


in which our plucky heroine decided that the empty space, above the embroidery, on these gown cuffs would be a great spot to apply the one of the sample block printed bands I made earlier this year...

***

Here is how some of our most necessary sewing tools are manufactured, a very different process than making them by hand:
***

This weekend was hard, with temperatures over 100F. At night, by around 9:30 PM house achieved equilibrium with the outdoor temperature... both were 82F! Chickens survived, and I made sure that there were extra waterers in place, and Saturday I even added some leftover ice cubes to the big one, to help keep it cooler. About half the time there were two eggs in the henhouse, when I ventured outside just long enough to make sure they had enough water. Scrub jays have been seen drinking from the chook waterers.
***

There is a layer of pollen all across the top of the chook food container in the carport. Trees have poor boundaries and do not understand consent. I wish that they wouldn't leave their sperm around to find it's way up my nose and into my sinuses. Even folks that don't usually have allergies are finding this year difficult.

A closer look: the pollen balls are HUGE this year! No wonder our plucky heroine has been suffering horrid sneezing allergy fits. Fortunately, I am often able to ease the itching by drinking some of my electrolyte/vitamin C drink, and am not reduced to taking antihistamines, which leave me stupifyingly sleepy.

***

I have an interim goal. After logging in my SMART goals achieved in May, I noticed that my category for "things gone" is far behind my other categories so far this year. My goal is to discard at least 12 grocery bags of stuff in June, which will have me, while not anywhere near as far as my "things made" category, which is going like gangbusters, at least up to the intended line of thirty so far this year.
June SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 damasquinado added undergown trim bag to Goodwill
2 charter #10 - bag to Goodwill
3 - - bag to Goodwill
4 - - bag to Goodwill
5 - - bag to Goodwill
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -

2 comments:

  1. It has been hot here also. We have a/c which helps. It was hard to go outside at the beginning but yesterday afternoon we did better.
    I need to get rid of more things also. Working 40 hours a week makes it harder to do. But it needs to be done before we start doing some renos and painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you have A/C... in the past, here in PDX we didn't really need it that much, but the last few years that has been changing. Good luck with your decluttering!

      I have been staying indoors a lot more than I would prefer, only going outside in the heat of the day to make sure that my chickens are also doing okay and have plenty of water. My yard has become very weedy, but not collapsing from heat sickness is more important. I work from home, so decluttering is a bit easier to fit in around the corners of my worktime, but I have also been at this decluttering project on and off for the last 2 1/2 years.

      Delete