Thursday, May 12, 2016

more charter painting fun


in which our plucky heroine completes charter #8...

On Monday night I decided to go to the local SCA branch "paint night", which I'd not previously attended, since it is in the next town over, and requires either a long bus journey with multiple transfers (more than an hour and a half each way), or arranging rides there and back, which I decided to do... it was a very different experience to gather around a large table, with each person also working on charter painting, since I mostly do my painting alone. There was conversation, and laughter, and consulting about choices, since painting involves a lot of decisions, even though the basic outline is fixed...

I started painting a new Award of Arms charter. After an hour and a half, it was time to go home, and most but not all of the base layer of paint was in place...

The next day, spent a couple-three hours beginning to add details to the charter I started painting yesterday... there are a number of areas still in need of more work, but it is starting to look suitably elaborated. The background behind the band across the bottom of the decoration needs both filled in and detailed, and there are many areas that will be much improved with some linework, as these two images show what a difference that makes:


My 8th charter painting was completed Wednesday evening. I am quite pleased with the improvement from the ones in this series I painted earlier this year. It was a lot of fun to add so much interior detailing to the motifs... the more I look at historical period examples, the more ideas there are to try! After I had started on this charter, I then found photos of the period original that must have inspired the artist... which gave me more ideas about how to decorate the charter painting...

I was particularly happy with the little vines inside the background... while not as complex as the original period document, they are the most detailed I have managed to create so far. The dark green bands are about 1/4" across.

Overall, I'd estimate that it took about twelve hours of painting to get the charter to this level of elaboration, though I will admit that I rather lost count; since this is an activity that I do entirely for fun, and as a service contribution to the organization I participate in, I need not keep careful count of my time, but can simply enjoy myself.

And, of course, there is the pleasure of imagining how happy someone will be to receive this, which will be part of a ceremony marking their own contribution to the SCA... Indeed, my goal in painting charters is to create the painting at a level that I would myself be pleased to receive, and this one I really find appealing! Perhaps in time I will create some original artwork using these techniques, since it is most unlikely that I will be on the receiving end of any more awards in my SCA career, but for now, the relaxation and pleasure of the painting is reward enough...

:::

May SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 printed trim samples caged feral roses cardboard recycling
2 banner design block printed
undergown hem
1300 lb shed debris
3 small coin pouch shed gone 11 concrete piers
4 charter #8 planted green onions -
5 - - -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment