Tuesday, April 19, 2016

more stamping


in which our plucky heroine continues to have fun...

These are the other set of blocks intended for decorating Blue Cedar House wool clothing. The motif is one I've seen on Viking Age carvings (and also and unexpectedly happens to match the design on their wedding rings!... as I found out when I showed them my initial sketches and got a delighted response) This was a much simpler block to carve, and I used some scraps of safe-t-cut I had... I wanted to make two blocks, mirror imaged, so as to allow for symmetrical designs when used as cuff trim, as well as several interesting variations when used for borders...

Two strips of cuff trim printed... realised on cuff #2 that areas not fully covered could, with a little care, be printed a second time to fill in the gaps. (cuff #1 is above, #2 below) I am going to carefully overprint #1 for better coverage.

Block-printed madder red linen and hand-dyed indigo linen trims: this is more or less the effect I am going for with Farbjorn's wool tunic cuffs... the printed trim fabrics need to wait 24 hours, and then have the designs be heat set, before the strips can be sewed in place.
:::

Have had a few additional ideas about block printing:

If printing on irregular shapes rather than on tidy rectangles, it occurs to me that I can simply trace out the pattern pieces needed but not cut them out until I am ready to use or apply them. Since I will be printing some curved hemline panels for Aesa's apron dress, it will be a lot easier to do this, and will keep the edges secure and unfrayed

The homemade fabric paint stamp pad is working really well so far. I am wondering if a slightly larger one would be possible, perhaps using a more rectangular container, should I be able to find one with a flat lid.

I am also hoping to eventually make some more complex and multicolor prints, that will be cut into narrower strips to more closely resemble the actual strips/fragments of silk samite that have been found in Viking Age graves
:::

Finished this embroidery for Thora today, whilst riding the Max and the bus to Beaverton and back home...  It matches the design I embroidered for her husband Farbjorn, but with a hand-dyed indigo linen backing instead of madder red. This will look quite pleasing, I think, on the front of her burgundy wool gown. (This sort of embroidery takes between a week to two or three weeks of interstitial time to complete)
:::

April SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 charter painting sink repair yard waste bin
2 window panel rack re-hem Maeva gowns yard waste bin
3 Æsa gown - -
4 Maeva gown - -
5 Maeva gown - -
6 Maeva gown - -
7 2 SR pillow covers - -
8 Farbjorn tunic - -
9 Farbjorn embroidery - -
10 Thora embroidery - -
11 - - -
12 - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment