Friday, April 22, 2016

Çintamani, Chihiro, and other Friday fragments...



in which our plucky heroine receives a surprise...

I was delighted at such a lovely gift from Ariadne! A print of Haku and Chihiro from Spirited Away, as interpreted by the talented artists at Ukiyo-e Heroes:
It is fascinating to watch the videos of the process used to create these and of the collaboration between artist designer and artist printmaker
:::

Wednesday I started carving a çintamani border motif on one of the smaller pieces of grey lino, which turned out less amenable than the tan lino (apparently requires very careful use of pressure) The tips on the wavy "tiger stripes" underneath the circular design accidentally broke away.

Decided to simply remove the stripes from this block, and carve them as separate motifs instead; having the various motifs as individual pieces will allow much greater freedom for printing assorted designs
Çintamani block proof - I was concerned that the narrow space between the central small dots and the larger outer dots would fill with ink, but it proved not an issue. It became apparent, however, that lowering the level of the carved away background in the upper corners would be a really good idea!
:::

My newest pinafore seemed to have been somehow acquired a torn hole in one panel, and since the fabric is a shot black/brown linen, it was a good thing I still had some scraps of the actual fabric left, since it would be Very Difficult to find anything else suitable for patching. I realise that sewing patches onto garments is a rather uncommon choice, but since the rest of the pinafore is practically brand new, it seems only sensible. Indeed, one of my criteria for choosing to retire a piece of clothing is how worn out the actual fabric is. Threadbare edges can sometimes be re-bound, but if the fabric itself is too weak to hold a patch, that is a sign to think about replacement rather than repair.
:::

The apron dress I made earlier this year for young Æsa was re-cut from a modern wool pinafore I'd made for Elizabeth a few years back, and the hemline is going to have a band of block printed embellishment in black on madder red, just like her father Farbjorn has on his tunic cuffs. It occurred to me that printing all the trim panels on one large piece of fabric, and then cutting them apart afterwards, would really allow me to avoid fraying edges on the linen. It has worked a like a charm, and I was able to run the fabric repeatedly through the serger, which will leave a neat finished edge to turn under and applique.

I also carved, very quickly using an exacto and a tiny scrap of safe-t-cut, a little geometric interstitial block to add decoration to the upper edge. I am obsessed, I admit it... have long been fascinated with printmaking, and seem to be dipping my toes into the concept, via textile decoration.

:::
April SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 charter painting sink repair yard waste bin
2 window panel rack re-hem Maeva gowns yard waste bin
3 Æsa gown mend brown pinafore -
4 Maeva gown - -
5 Maeva gown - -
6 Maeva gown - -
7 2 SR pillow covers - -
8 Farbjorn tunic - -
9 Farbjorn embroidery - -
10 Thora embroidery - -
11 - - -
12 - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment