Wednesday, March 9, 2016

wishful Wednesday


in which our plucky heroine wishes for full oxygenation

My pals Jess and Cindy came over yesterday planning to help out and make me some homemade chicken soup, but by the middle of the day I was having some real trouble breathing, so instead, off to Urgent Care became the order of the day... After being jumped to the head of the line (which has never happened to me at Urgent Care, I ended up with an EKG, two nebulizer breathing treatments, and a chest xray. When they still couldn't get my O2 up to a good place, they sent me on to the ER, where I then spent the rest of the afternoon into the evening. (Somewhere in there the horrid fever I'd had for five days abated, but I still was feeling pretty awful)

Very glad not to HAVE to stay overnight in hospital, after hours of tests, more EKG, and another nebuliser treatment I was really wanting my own bed, and preferably some actual food prior to said bed...(although the supplemental oxygen was really nice).  According to their tests what I have is some viral human walking pneumonia. I have instructions for followup care and two new inhalers. Whoo hoo... not my best day ever, but am very grateful to Jess for patiently transporting me, and Cindy for holding down the fort here at Acorn Cottage. I fear that it will be a while before our plucky heroine is her usual bouncy self, since right now walking from the front door to the driveway is pretty exhausting... but thank goodness for living in these modern times and not in the actual Middle Ages, and that I now have insurance coverage and could get medical attention, since not that long ago, that wasn't an option for me

so, my wish for today is for a return to healthy lung function and full activity!

8 comments:

  1. Hope you are healing up now. Hugs Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Ruthie! It is going to be a long slow convalescence, the medication helps but mostly I will need to rest a LOT and do almost nothing until my lungs heal.

      Delete
  2. I hope you are feeling much better now and will continue to heal to your normal self. So happy to know you have wonderful friends to help you out at times like this. Don't push it too much so you can get to 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel a tad better since I no longer have a high fever, but the pneumonia is slow to clear out. I am truly blessed with my friends. Apparently this virus is really nasty and slow to loose its hold, I am already impatient but can actually do very little at all yet

      Delete
  3. What a shocking business. . . but it sounds like you had excellent care from your friends and from the hospital. Oh lung stuff is so exhausting. Really you have to take things slowly, much more slowly than you want to take them. Lung stuff is serious. (I will tell you how I know that lung stuff is serious - nine bouts of pneumonia, two w/hospitalization threatened if I did not promise to stay in bed. . .) Take care of yourself. If only chickens had opposable thumbs and an instinct to help out around the house. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire! I feel very fortunate in my friends both online and locally. The last time I had pneumonia was almost thirty years ago, the meds now are better, but my stamina is somewhat reduced. On the other hand, I am more experienced at taking care of self, and intend to rest rest rest so that I will actually get better and not relapse. The idea of my hens with opposable thumbs is sort of terrifying!

      Delete
  4. I've been worried about you but so happy that your friends are taking care of you. So glad that you have medical insurance so you can get the treatment you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol for your kind words. I went for years and years and years without insurance or medical care, was on the wait list for five years here for the insurance lottery to get care and was fortunate enough to get on just before my cancer diagnosis, which is good, else I'd not be here today. The affordable care act increased my minimal benefit so I can have a bit more thorough care, ER care is covered as are basic diagnostics now. For the time being, I am staying at home, resting, napping, and sitting up on the computer from time to time... still too weak to work on things like sewing, much less metalwork

      Delete