Monday, March 14, 2016

long row to hoe


in which our plucky heroine begins to recover health in a seriously incremental fashion...

I am still really weak. Recovery is proceeding on a geologic time scale, but it is happening; I guess a positive sign is that I at least be wanting to do stuff, even if not yet with enough puff to do so at all. Grateful for the continuing assistance... Jess came by today in the middle of the day, kept me company, cooked up some halloumi (from OlyWa) for my lunch, lent me Labyrinth so I had a movie to watch, washed a bunch of dishes, and encouraged me to both rest and to continue drinking tea to stay hydrated.

Had some seriously loud hail today, in several waves... there has been lots of wind and rain as is usual at this time of year, but the drumming of the hail on the steel attic ventilator turbines and carport roof was quite astonishing! Jess managed to get a photo of some of it, before it all melted away, there was quite enough to actually impede the front door for a few minutes.

I am going to wait to celebrate Pi Day till I feel well enough to bake. Yesterday I attempted to help Karen make crustless quiche, but grating the cheese was more than I had strength to do, ditto beating the half dozen eggs. I am righteously tired of being this sick and sick of being this tired... hopefully before too long I will at least have enough energy to do something other than sit, rest, shower, or sleep. Has been eleven days of sick so far, but have at least turned the corner, albeit very very slowly. Everyone says that this kind of pneumonia will require a lengthy convalescence.

Fortunately my helpful friends that were here this weekend left me a useful assortment of already cooked just needs to be heated up meal components: meatloaf, quiche, cooked winter squash, and steamed veggies. This combined with the jars of homemade soup that C made for me when I first became so ill, will keep me going for quite some time.

Extra thanks to Farbjorn last week and Freydis this week for cleanup detail, all that remains of the giant brush pile is an assortment of sticks scattered about the wakening lawn:

:::

March SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 bee Laurel enamel L linen gown extended yard waste bin
2 - - yard waste bin
3 - - -
4 - - -
5 - - -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -

10 comments:

  1. Nice hailstones! Take good care and better soon, Alison. Glad you have some special folks looking out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! I have not been this ill in decades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very frustrating being ill, please take care of yourself as best you can. I must admit I sometimes enjoy rereading my childhood classic novels - Narnia, 5 children and It etc - a gently and happy escape for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthie, I am scouring my public library listings of eBooks for just that sort of reading, as well as my own book collection... as you are so correct, it is a gentle happy escape that is healing... Just finished reading The Little White Horse, and am about to start in on my favorite Susan Cooper books

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Take care of yourself while you recuperate so you don't have a relapse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to really allow myself to recover. When I had pneumonia thirty years ago I zoomed right back to work, and pretty immediately had a relapse and was even sicker. I have even turned the heat up to 65F here at Acorn Cottage, which is a real change, but will hopefully help me to recover

      Delete
  5. what a relief that you are on the slow-mend. It is so annoying to want to do stuff but lack the energy and endurance to grate cheese! thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, still really weak, but there is no way around it but through.. lots of resting is in my future. I am hopeful that I will be able to figure out some things I can do in tiny increments, that are not strenuous like embroidery or painting. Working in the metal studio is right out alas. I appreciate your kindly thoughts

      Delete
  6. And what a relief to know you have friends watching out for you. Love surrounds you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very aware of how fortunate I am in my friends and family, and
      "count my blessings" every day at the help I am offered.

      Delete