Friday, February 26, 2016

Friday fragments


in which our plucky heroine shares some signs of spring...

These are "ornamental plum" blossoms, from my two large front yard trees, which have pretty flowers for about two weeks of the year.  I just wish that Former Owner had planted fruit trees instead. Am already thinking about what to plant when these need to come down.

Yesterday afternoon, while it was sunny and surprisingly warm, Mr Dawson came down from Olympia with his assorted pruning equipment and gave my front yard trees their yearly makeover...
.
The large branches were cut up for him to take home for oven wood, the smooth withies are piled in my side yard, and this big pile is the smaller brushy twiggy bits, which will gradually either go away or get turned into rocket stove fuel
:::

Huzzah for Bemis, manufacturer of toilet seats (and other things)! They have excellent customer service. When my less than a year old toilet seat cracked in half, I called them for advice. I didn't expect anything more than that, since I had not saved my reciept, but on hearing my entire story, they offered to replace it anyway... Well, they sent me an even better seat than I had originally purchased (this one is both self closing, detachable for cleaning, and is molded from a stronger material) Said new seat arrived this week, and has now been given "pride of place" in the Acorn Cottage biffie.
:::


Pink hellebore flowers in the front walkway garden bed are so pretty in the sunlight this morning. These were a gift years ago from my friend Sharon, and have been struggling to make a go of it in my front flowerbed... Last year we removed a big euphorbia, and I think the hellebore has enjoyed having more light. I'd love to have the white with dark spots, or the pale green with speckles, or the really really dark ones.
:::

One of many projects completed this week was sewing two simple linen Anglo-Saxon underdresses for Maeva. Eventually, over the next few months, she have an set of clothing suitable for an entire long weekend, and I look forward to bringing the different layers of clothing to life.
:::

Monday was the last day on my BOGO Metro paint coupon, and as this morning was both moderate and not raining, a transit jaunt down the their Swan Island facility seemed like a good idea. It necessitated bringing the Big Wheelie Cart so that I had an easy way to bring back two gallons of paint. The last time I tried hand carrying paint on the bus, I thought my arms and shoulders would never recover; this time I got some odd looks and comments walking from the bus stop pushing what looks a lot like an elderly grocery shopping basket on wheels.

My intention had been to get one each of Black and "Crater Lake" (a medium blue) so I could mix them to get a custom midnight blue paint. Unfortunately they are out of Crater Lake, and will be for quite some time. Since their paint is 100% recycled (and low VOC), some of the availability depends on what paints are being acquired. So, instead, I chose one of the limited edition colors, a pretty turquoise blue (there are sometimes colors available at the Swan Island store that are special, different than their standard colors) which will end up as an accent color here. Also it occurred to me that when I go to paint the exterior, it will work a lot better  be simpler if I can come up with a color scheme that doesn't involve mixing up custom colors.
:::

February SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 carved bird stamp new shoplight 2 bags to Goodwill
2 Jen jumper new ceiling tap workroom ceiling fan
3 Jen jumper extend chook fencing random flooring bits
4 Jen jumper overdoor shelf two dead garden hoses
5 yin yang wall quilt yard weeded yard waste bin
6 snowdrop block linen gown repaired -
7 Cathy underdress front trees pruned -
8 Cathy underdress toilet seat replaced -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -

4 comments:

  1. Lucky you having your trees in bloom. We won't see that for several more weeks. You certainly have been busy this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the spring flowers in the PNW. Our Thundercloud Plum is just about to burst into bloom! the first flowers opened overnight! And the random daffodils are starting to bloom. I just love hellebore! as soon as we figure out what our front yard is going to hold, I am going to see about putting in some of those gorgeous flowers! Your beauties are so fresh looking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've certainly been moving at a brisk pace! Re your twigs: I once trimmed a bush in my yard & used the trimmings to dye fabric: an experiment. Astonishingly, the twigs produced a lovely, brilliant but somehow subtle chartreuse. Who knows what your twigs might produce?

    ReplyDelete