Friday, February 12, 2016

Friday fragments


In which our plucky heroine has been working on a different sort of project...

Despite the close to central place that sewing holds in my life, I am not a quilter. In fact I have made less than one hand of quilts in my entire manydecades of stitchery; I made a quilt when I went away to college, and one for my brothers child when he was born, and one for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. But somehow I am now making a pieced wall hanging, a green floral yin yang, that will hang in the treatment room of my beloved acupuncturist and friend Sharon Rose.

She suggested the design, and I made some quick sketches to clarify the details of the motif, size, and orientation.

This is going to be an interesting project (in a good way); it was sort of fun using geometry to construct the yin yang; the various parts are pinned in place on a muslin backing, then machine basted, which requires a lot of pins to hold the curved edges in place.

Thursday night I finished overstitching all the internal seams of the yin yang motif. They are done as lapped seams, first basted in place and then machine zigzagged as an overlay. Very different than my usual garment construction techniques, but very suitable for this use as wall art.

The additional steps needed will be to cut and stitch two borders around the motif, piece together the backing layer, create and attach the hanging strips, then cut out the batting and sandwich the layers together. At that point the wall hanging will need to be edge bound, and finally the layers will get tied together from the back so that the thread ends are not a visual distraction ...
:::

February SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 carved bird stamp new shoplight 2 bags to Goodwill
2 Jen jumper new ceiling tap workroom ceiling fan
3 Jen jumper extend chook fencing random flooring bits
4 Jen jumper overdoor shelf two dead garden hoses
5 - yard weeded -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment