Sunday, January 17, 2016

sunday snippets of SWAP progress which our plucky heroine transforms a dress into a pinafore...

Combining the rectangular constructed bodice and the gored skirt didn't work out, so I recut the bodice into a pinafore top... this ended up with the stenciled design forming a nice border along the vee neckline. My initial concept of multiple bands of trim on the hemline seemed too "fussy", so just the black corduroy bias edgebinding. Having transformed the dress into a pinafore will necessitate changing my SWAP plans, as the color balance is shifted. I am glad I didn't waste the entire dresslength of fabric though.

This unintended pinafore works with some of the clothing I already have, that I made several years ago, so I could technically say that I now have a complete 3PAC: brown/black pinafore (bottom) black polkadot dress (2010) (dress) and black floral peplum blouse (2013) (top). If I end up with enough time at the end, I can fill these spaces (dress + top) with additional newly sewn garments, but just in case my sewing remains so slow, it is good to have this option

I also learned a clever trick for getting the binding to lay nicely flat around an inside corner, by sewing a sort of tiny sideways diamond shaped dart. Solving this particular difficulty will come in very useful, since my preferred edge treatment is self-made bias binding. Am wondering about putting together a workshop on edge binding, and if there would be any interest in that...
January SMART goals
1 sekrit santa gift iPod speakers bag to Goodwill
2 two felt mice - bag to Goodwill
3 heraldic enamel - -
4 Laurel pendant - -
5 black/brown pinafore - -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -


  1. Cute pinafore, and thanks for the useful edge binding tip! jenmiller

  2. Pinafore looks good, very practical and quite you. Hope your sewing plans work out well.

  3. you are so clever. Looks great x

  4. That is a pretty outfit, and you look cute in it!