Monday, January 11, 2016

Monday music and musings


in which our plucky heroine continues making slow but steady progress...

I started decluttering at the beginning of 2014 as part of my Rising 60 challenge, and by the end of the year, had met my goal of letting go of at least 60 grocery sacks full of things not needed. In 2015, I surpassed that number, and over 74 items/bags/bundles were sent to either the trash, recycling, or a thrift shop. My goal is to get to the end of the major declutter by the end of 2016, so that my efforts and the bulk of my energy can go towards new creative efforts.

This month and until it is improved, I am focusing on the largest room in the house, the converted garage space that I use as a workroom. Since towards the end of last year I was finally able to get the carpet out of the two bedrooms and the laminate flooring installed, unfortunately all the random boxes that were stacked up in the bedroom were migrated into the workroom. And I don't want to simply take the boxes and stack them all up in the bedroom again, I am enjoying having the bedroom be uncluttered. 

There isn't yet an uncluttered space or surface anywhere in the room, which serves as a combined laundry room and pantry as well as workshop space. It was a sad day in 2007 when the necessary demolition after flooding required removing all the lovely built in cupboards that surrounded the laundry and pantry and water heater, knowing that there was no budget to replace them. Still, our plucky heroine has been rather clever about finding workarounds, though all that missing storage shelving would really be quite useful...

So far I have managed to uncover most of the top of the washer and dryer. Another evening of effort will find homes for most of what remains atop the washer, and hopefully a tidy basket to store the laundry powder and liquids now temporarily corralled in a box lid on the dryer...
.
slowly making progress from total disorder to slightly more tidy...
:::

 
“The stars look very different today.”(The New Yorker, bonus daily cartoon, by Benjamin Schwartz)
:::

I didn't manage to finish putting together a calendar for 2016, and while that is still on my agenda, I really wanted something to hang on the wall next to my desk for planning. I'd had this 18 month planner in my Etsy favorites list for a long time; the uncluttered design feels both visually restful and highly functional to my eyes. It only took seven days from when the order was shipped from Berlin to when it arrived on my doorstep here at Acorn Cottage, and it is just as pleasing in person. The paper is a little thicker than what is common here as "copier paper", and the metal clamp/clip/binder is a delightful bit of Italian engineered manufacturing, which, just as described, is a handy place to also rest a writing stick. I call this a win!
:::


Something a little different, maybe not to everyone's taste, but I like it...

:::
January SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 sekrit santa gift iPod speakers bag to Goodwill
2 two felt mice - bag to Goodwill
3 heraldic enamel - -
4 Laurel pendant - -
5 - - -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -

1 comment:

  1. Nothing wrong with the pipes and drums - or a man in a kilt ;-)

    ReplyDelete