Friday, January 22, 2016

Friday fragments


in which our plucky heroine has managed to grab bootstraps...

Going to fill in as a class assistant for a workshop on textile printing with linocut blocks. While this is certainly not my specialty, I have assisted some more expert friends in such activity, and expect to learn quite a bit while being a helper. In case there is time for it, I decided to prep a block for myself to carve.

Since the readymade blocks only come in certain sizes, which don't match the class project, I asked the instructor how best to cut the larger block to size. It turns out that hand tools work just fine; a bit of scrap wood protects the linoleum surface, a C-clamp hold everything steady, and a japanese pull saw cut through the entire thing with no trouble at all...
:::

I figured out why I now only get one egg from the chicken house each day... Nanny Ogg is molting! In the middle of the winter no less. I had noticed a few feathers and then some more today, and when I looked at her, she was noticeably missing head feathers and had instead the quills of new feathers growing in. Well dang. Winter is not the ideal time for losing one's down jacket, and she isn't even a year old yet. Usual average I've read for first molt is 18 months. At least this means that she will likely be done by the time Boneclaw Mother starts, but if I was breeding my hens, she would probably go to freezer camp instead...
:::

Some really small cord locks and some paracord to make four horizontal compression cords, and then this setup for vertical compression, as a way to condense my homemade memory foam camping mat into a smaller configuration, which will be very handy for travel packing. Still need to make a protective travel-bag, since it didn't come with a stuff sack like the rest of my camping gear
:::

January SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 sekrit santa gift iPod speakers bag to Goodwill
2 two felt mice compression straps bag to Goodwill
3 heraldic enamel - bag to Goodwill
4 Laurel pendant - -
5 black/brown pinafore - -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -
:::

1 comment:

  1. That compression device is brilliant! What a clever thing to think up!!

    ReplyDelete