Saturday, December 12, 2015

Saturday snippets


in which our plucky heroine grasps at bootstraps yet again...

Whoo hoo, on Wednesday at the pool, for the first time since my knee injury this summer, I was able to use the pool ladders in the deep end, instead of needing to use the shallow stairs!! It required using upper body strength as well, but it seems that all the water PT and exercising has been generating some improvement.
:::


Thanks to the "My Discovery Pass" from the library, I was able to go see "When Marnie Was There" at the NW Film Center this afternoon. Definitely worth trekking downtown in the rain to watch what may be the last film from Studio Ghibli. The animation was as spectacular as would be expected, and the story bittersweet

Japanese trailer, IMHO better than the Disney-fied one
:::

An online friend queried "what does happiness feel like, and whether it was possible to feel happiness in a way that would overwhelm all other emotions" and this was my reply:
When there was happiness in my life, to me it felt like a warmth in my center, the way that even in a fire that is almost quenched there can still be a live coal, and whatever else was my external situation I could still feel that. To me it was not a feeling that blankets all other emotions but one that rather underlaid them, as the earth and gravity underlay the bright world...
someday I hope to have that feeling again, at least I can still remember that there was a time I felt that, even if I can only remember it now in words and not in actual feel-memory...
:::

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alsion, brilliant news about the pool. Getting to see the filn sounded like a good artistic endeavour. I am thinking again about using 'The Artists Way' book as it was very interesting way for me to find new opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison, I like your meditation on happiness, how it undergirds things, not blankets them. Contentment can feel like happiness and I wonder if there is much difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, your last sentence was so poignant; I've felt that. And yes, it can happen again!

    ReplyDelete