Wednesday, October 21, 2015

wishful Wednesday - a bit more about the small bedroom


in which our plucky heroine wishes for a wee Ikea shopping spree...


floor plan and three wall elevations....
also list of things not in room or not existing at the house currently

What I want for the small bedroom is that it function well for me to sew in, and that it easily transition to a guest room as needed, which happens fairly often. For making this room guest friendly, I need small nightstands (in particular I would like one each of RASKOG and VETTRE to use as rolling nightstands on either side of the futon couch), a place for the guests to put their clothing, and a waste basket for next to the bed. A wall mirror would be a good addition as well.

For both uses, adding a small wall hung clothes rod would be a good thing, probably on the east wall between the current shelves and the closet, there is about an 18" wide space that would serve both guest clothing, a place to hang a current WIP when sewing, as well as a tidy spot to lean the ironing board. If I put curtains up across the closet front, it will make that wall more visually peaceful, and I can gradually clear away, sort, and declutter the interior of the closet.

The sewing function will be improved by more organisation and decluttering of my current fabric supplies/sewing supplies; I am feeling like there is actually Enough Storage in this room for my needs. Fabric in garment lengths on open shelves, notions, and smaller fabric bits in the drawers or in curated boxes; once the other bits and bobs are removed, there should be quite enough space. While it feels like I have not yet made as much progress towards that goal as could be wished for, incremental progress is still progress.

And now, a tour of the current interim state of the room, now that the lovely new laminate flooring is in place -

When you walk into the room this is what you see...  For some reason the original builders placed the window off-center in the north wall of the room. I do intend to run a high shelf above the window all across that wall, as a place to store my yarn stash.The lack of nightstands and task lighting is obvious, and I am thinking that removing the small white knickknack shelf from the wall (and all the assorted random clutter) would further open up the space. That northwest corner could eventually be a place for a dress form someday....
:::

On the right, the east wall is mostly shelving that store garment lengths of fabric, with a low, heavily reinforced shelf for my sewing machines. This wall recently had four new wall-hung shelves added (to replace a combination of old storage units and Boeing bookcase that stood in the corner, and leave the flooring open and easier to keep clean) The folding sewing tables normally live leaned up against the wall under the sewing machines, and the gap visible between the shelves and the closet wall is where I am thinking to store the ironing board...
:::

.
The closet wall, and a closer view of the current hot mess closet

The south wall is the closet wall, and the closet is currently chock-a-block full, partially of things that actually belong in there like sewing notions and smaller pieces of fabric, and partially with random clobber that got picked up from the room and stuffed in there to get it out of the way whilst laying the floor.

I don't think I want to keep the clipboards pinned to the wall next to the doorway; if I had a good file scenario, they wouldn't need to live there. Interesting how taking pictures, looking at said photos and some time thinking about the space has made a number of needed changes much more obvious. I need a way to store and retrieve paper information. Keeping it all online, like many folks do, is not helpful, I USE hardcopy, and setting up a hardcopy system is going to be far less expensive than buying new tech toys.

I am thinking that for temporary, moving my file cabinet from the studio to the small bedroom, will give me a nightstand, at least temporarily. There are beloved houseguests coming next week to stay for a fortnight. Most of what is in that file cabinet can probably be discarded. That would give me the space, at least, to set up Useful Hardcopy storage.
:::

The west wall, and a bit of the north wall. The thread rack is a good thing, fits neatly behind the door when the door is open The large wall shelf is a good thing, but is not being well utilised. Top shelf is full of crap, middle shelf is full of patterns that I mostly don't use. Bottom shelf is good, full of next-up-to-be-used good fabric. This area formerly had a pseudo-table set up underneath the shelves, that I don't want to put back, because it only functioned as a clutter catcher. So imagine the entire space from the bottom shelf down being full of boxes and bins of stuff (that is all in the big bedroom now); I don't want to simply fill this space back up again. Am considering adding one more shelf underneath the ones there, and also about the patterns and other things on the shelving here that could go live somewhere else, either in the house or at Goodwill. One step at a time...
:::

6 comments:

  1. Your plans all sound sensible, hopefully you will get the opportunity to work towards those goal incrementally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of the reason I put posts like this up are to encourage myself, and to notice the progress I have made, and to note the future tasks I want to further the project... I get so absent minded sometimes. One thing I have started doing is to set a kitchen timer and work on things like declutter a box or two for a set period of time, which helps me feel less overwhelmed. I just don't know how I could have gotten so disorganised and cluttered in under ten years

      Delete
  2. You are making magnificent progress!! That room really looks welcoming and useful! My own goal is to have my metalworking studio completed by the end of October - I have decluttered, donated, boxed up, unboxed, and bought a Harbor Freight workbench. I think I can do it! PS I love the idea of leaving some space (e.g. not replacing the pseudo-table under the shelves). It's so breathable when there are open spots! Your room looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! How exciting that you are getting you metalworking space set up; I am sure you will enjoy that space and your creativity will blossom even further... (I thought you were on your trip, didnt' realise you had returned already, or am I confused and you have not gone yet) The next time I am in Seattle maybe I can come see your studio space?

      While my plan is for most of the rooms here at Acorn Cottage to be painted different color than plain white, I figure that in this room the white walls will be a good thing, for sewing and color planning. Plus not putting anything really large along the walls will mean that the room is a bit easier for guests to navigate, instead of barely being able to squeeze in between the table and the bed!

      Delete
  3. I'm back, since Oct 20. Sigh. I brought back an annoying souvenir, a nasty icky demoralizing cold. So irritating. But feeling better now. Next time you are in Seattle I will fetch you and give you a tour of my sewing space and my metals studio space!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Claire... glad that you are starting to feel better! I invariably get a cold or worse whenever I stay in a hotel, or when I formerly would fly somewhere... I blame it on the recirculated air... I am hoping to find a time before the end of the year to have one more Seattle trip

    ReplyDelete