Monday, October 5, 2015

stencils and stamps oh my


in which our plucky heroine continues working on the kosode project...

<< The first three panels have been stenciled using white Jaquard NeoOpaque textile paint on indigo fabric. Stenciling is faster than shibori. Block printing is faster than stenciling. All three require quite a bit of advance preparation. I used a commercial stencil for this set of panels. The stenciled pieces will sit overnight before being heat set for permanence... Pretty happy with the subtle variegation of the triangles
:::

Combining the two stencils I cut while at Arts Unframed last weekend yields this floral/equine stripe pattern. Both motifs are appropriately Japanese in style. Am pleased to have figured out how to line up the two stencils to keep the design registration. The stencils are translucent mylar, with the cut portion bracketed by the adjacent motifs simply outlined on the mylar, making lining them up properly fairly simple!
One of the two stencils used to create the horse and flower stripe pattern. Each cut stencil has the alternate pattern inked in on either side. By making the stencil both wider and longer than the cut portion, it allows me to both mark the distance between the patterned stripes evenly, and to locate the horse or the flowers in the correct orientation to each other.

This is the resulting pattern, as horizontal stripes on one of the kosode sleeve panels.... one down and four more panels to go. I timed how long it takes to stencil one panel - about fifteen minutes...

In period, this sort of design would have been done with katazome, a stenciled resist surface design technique, where a starchy resist was applied to the fabric before it was dyed with indigo, leaving the pattern the original fabric color. For reasons of time constraint, I am simply stenciling the design with white Jaquard NeoOpaque textile paint, on indigo color linen...

five panels of stenciled horse and flower stripe completed, yay!

On one of the sleeve panels, I mis-placed two of the three initial motifs. Fortunately, the design elements could be moved around for a variation that still looks pretty good...
:::

After much digging through random boxes, I found the cutter blades that go with the handles for cutting printing blocks... Eventually the declutter and organise will make my life better, and I will be able to find my supplies and tools in expected places, but now I can get on with the carving the final blocks for the surface design kosode project
The motif is a snow-circle/snow-crystal called "yukiwa" and is an auspicious motif that suggests a bountiful year to come... Since the Honour Feast is in mid-autumn, the decorative motifs we use may in some way ideally reference the upcoming seasons

three printed snow circle panels, and a glimpse in the corner of my one set of "cheater" commercial shibori motif panels...
:::



October SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 8 stenciled panels - -
2 carved yukiwa stamp - -
3 3 stamped panels - -
4 - - -
5 - - -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment