Sunday, September 13, 2015

Transformations


...in which our plucky heroine, with help, brings greater order to the environs:

In the time that Blue Cedar House was down here, from Friday night to Sunday afternoon, a LOT of Useful Work happened here at Acorn Cottage: shed roof repaired, front door latch repaired, lower framework for salad table squirrel protection made (I still need to build the uppers) Bicycle brake cable replaced and new kickstand installed. Yard weeded, weed whacked, front yard raked (and neighbor yard raked). Huge linen closet entirely emptied and sorted/decluttered, and reorganised and the linen closet doors, which have not closed properly the entire time of my residence here, have been planed down and reset so they can be shut. Plus we discussed the next SCA clothing projects I'll be making for them, and set up plans for the rest-of-the-year weekend get together work parties.

My ongoing intention is to clear out various areas of dysfunction, clean, declutter, and organise the spaces to add peace and functionality to life here at Acorn Cottage. This is a slow process, but each little bit that is transformed, each space that becomes a "home" for particular objects instead of a clutterbug-trap makes it easier to put things in places they can be found again when needed for use. This being my goal for the entire homeplace, and my Blue Cedar House pals have been of great assistance in these endeavors...

The linen closet at the end of the hallway had been rather a catchall for the quite a few years; no rhyme or reason for the things in there, other than a shelf of woolly sweaters for wintertime... it is difficult to organise spaces like this that are deep cubbyholes

After hours of assistance from dear Mindy, this is the result - each shelf has designated contents, the "closet" portion (too short for clothing, what were they thinking of?) will be used to store in process sewing projects clipped to hangers. No more PIGS*, huzzah!! We took 8 bags of things to the Goodwill, plus two large pieces of unneeded electronia, and while there are still several boxes/groups of items from here that have yet to find homes, I am beginning to trust that in time the house here will become the supportive and beautiful ground to the life, work, and artisanry that is intended to happen here.

*PIGS = "Projects In Grocery Sacks"
:::
September SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 apron dress for L linen closet doors bag to Goodwill
2 DM coronet shed roof patched bag to Goodwill
3 DM coronet front door latch bag to Goodwill
4 - bike brake cable bag to Goodwill
5 - bike kickstand bag to Goodwill
6 - side yard work bag to Goodwill
7 - back yard work bag to Goodwill
8 - - bag to Goodwill
9 - - electronica x 2
10 - - yard waste bin
:::

8 comments:

  1. Wow! What a productive weekend! I live and work alone but I love it when there is someone here to work with, it is so energizing. Sounds like you are part of a talented group of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that even just having someone keep me company while I try and get things done helps immensely, and if they are also helping and encouraging, the amount of work that gets done increases exponentially... I am truly fortunate in my friends

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy reading your posts. They inspire me to be a Plucky Heroine and do some Useful Work in my home :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words... go forth and be Plucky!

      Delete
  3. Sounds greats and looks it too. I am also amazed how I keep donating and yet the house is still fairly full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and when folks see my house, they don't think it is all cluttered either... but it feels like one of those cars at the circus with a million clowns that keep coming out of it

      Delete
  4. I found my way here tonight from your comment on my blog. You have a wonderful blog that I am enjoying. It will take me a few days to catch up to current but it should be a wonderful journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw thank you... I hope that you enjoy what you find here, I know I have been enjoying reading about you having too much fun!

    ReplyDelete