Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Perfect is the enemy of the good


in which our plucky heroine cogitates on completion, among other things...

Way back in February, I began working on the enamels for a pair of coronets. The project was a collaborative effort with myself, and my former studio partner Bill Dawson, as the artisans, and in a reverse of our former arrangement, I took on the task of lead coordinator and fabricator. Our design bid was fairly straightforward

Bill did all the engraving and dotted border work
.

And, over many months, I completed a pair of coronets for the Barony of Dragon's Mist...

As you can see, the completed coronets are a very close match indeed to the initial design drawings

a closer view of the front panel with the cloisonne and limoges enamel medallion surrounded by engraved and stamped dragons, and surmounted by freshwater pearls

A 3/4 view of the same coronet, making a bit more clear the layering of fabricated metal, and showing in the background the ties that allow for making the coronets adjustable to different size heads. There are pairs of small holes in the bottom dotted border, to allow for stitching coronet padding in place around the lower edge, to help with both comfort and fine tuning the size

I am everso grateful to be finally finished with this project, which has taken up far more of my time and far more of my mental real estate than the actual size and complication of the project would warrant. Somehow, despite that I have been doing metalwork since I was a teen, I continue to lack confidence in my own skills and abilities, which leads me to stand in my own way, fearful of making egregious errors in fabrication and construction. Foolish, but so are all phobias, and the way through them is sometimes difficult to discern.

It seems odd to me that only in this area do I run up against this paralytic fear. I am quite fearless in my sewing and textile activity (no fabric is the boss of me), and have even managed to get beyond my inexperience and make progress on home repair, simple woodwork and plumbing. Some of what gets in my way is that I know several metalsmiths who have ability far beyond mine, and when I think about their body of work, my ability seems woefully inadequate. In addition to the useful adage of  "comparisons are odious", the fact is that my work is quite serviceable, and the only way it will improve further is if I continue to work on projects that stretch my ability.

I was able to figure out what order to fabricate and attach the parts; the pair of completed coronets are both useful, sturdy, and attractive, and while my delivery time was uncharacteristically late, the populace of the Barony seem quite happy with the results. Now, my intention is to keep in mind that if I can gently lead self past the land of unwarrented fears, that it is both likely and possible that I will find myself, by dint of effort and skill, in the land of successful outcomes...

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
:::

...and, in other news from Acorn Cottage, there were two eggs in the nest box today. So unless Boneclaw Mother somehow laid two eggs in one day, I'd venture to say that both hens are now on the egg train!  Woot!!
:::

September SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 apron dress for L - -
2 DM coronet - -
3 DM coronet - -
4 - - -
5 - - -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
:::

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful work. I had no idea. You are sooo talented and artistic!
    Marciae from SG

    ReplyDelete