Saturday, August 1, 2015

Saturday snippets


In which our plucky heroine plays catch up with some of the assorted bits that happened over the last week...

Moonrise tonight was amazing, the full moon, last night's blue moon, was madder red in the eastern sky, as I rode my bike to the grocery store, through the swampy soupy heat after ten at night...
:::

WTF!?! Sometime in the night, some varmint decided that tearing apart the chair cushion on my front porch was a good idea. I suspect squirrels as opposed to rats, which would have left droppings as well as the torn up foam bits on the porch floor. Anyone else have a suggestion as to what may have done this, and what if anything would have prevented it? (guess it has just been sheer luck that the chair has been outdoors for several years on the porch unmolested...)

:::

Experimental zucchini planting has sprouted... Have read/heard that planting summer squash in July can yield young squash in late summer early autumn, depending on the weather. Figured it was worth a try, since baby squash is a favored vegetable here. Unfortunately, the day after they sprouted, the gorram squirrel (or whatever it is that has chosen my front porch landscape to dig holes in and chew up furniture) decided to excavate that side of the self watering planter, and destroyed one and uprooted the other two infant squash. In the morning when I found the carnage, I replanted them and covered the surface of the planter box with a combination of old chicken wire and many sharp pointy sticks

:::

Good news! The new physical therapy dude this week was MUCH better at explaining things, AND there has been measurable progress since my first visit two weeks ago. This leaves me feeling encouraged, as opposed to how I have been feeling for the last two weeks. Yes my legs/knees still hurt, but my effort is worth it if I get my mobility back and am stronger than when I started. I get one additional exercise to add to the six I am already doing each day.
:::

I want to turn the area just outside my back door into a proper micro summer kitchen spot. Have been using it informally that way for the last month, on and off, but with a bit of effort, and the decluttering of that space, it could be quite pleasant. And if this sort of summer heat we've been having is the "new normal", a way to cook outdoors the things that don't need constant attention will keep the kitchen a lot cooler. The long range plan is to also set up a summer workspace under the carport as well, for the sort of messy projects, like textile dyeing, or felting, that are best kept out of the house... bit by bit progress will happen.

I have a little crock pot, and a tabletop convection oven, and also an alcohol stove and a wood/charcoal rocket stove, all of which could be used outdoors. The area outside the back door is covered by an extension of the carport - my idea is to clear away the assorted stuff stored there, and use the old standing workbench as a plain (or tiled) tabletop that set up as a cooking area, and build a plinth/platform with a concrete top for using the rocket stove, so that it is at a good height as well.

The actual stoves/oven/etc will continue to be stored in the house, except when being used. While a cob oven would be delightful, given the difficulty of acquiring enough wood to heat such a thing, sans any transport save shanks mare or bicycle, I think I will stick with heat sources that are a little easier to acquire. The rocket stove can use small branches and prunings. Plus summer kitchen adds both resiliency and earthquake preparedness points, FTW...
:::

July SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 blue tunic for B chook shade tarp recycle bin full
2 grey gown for M toilet seat replaced yardwaste bin
3 linen gown for S - codling apples
4 black batik popover - -
5 Laurel brooch setting - -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
:::

August SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 - - -
2 - - -
3 - - -
4 - - -
5 - - -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -

3 comments:

  1. I say squirrels. They are both bold and destructive. I've had my wars with squirrels. One year, after I spent hours planting perennials, I went out to view my work and the squirrels did not even budge. I offered them 20 dollar bills, to save time. Instead of my buying plants and digging and planting them, I figured it would be simpler to just give the cash to the damn varmints. The little horrors. They might have been after your cushion for nest materials. Damn their hides!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call them tree rats and I say to Hades with them!! I hadn't thought about "nesting materials" when the wretched things ate right through the zipper. And I am glad to know that I am not the only one that doesn't find them to be charming creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'm on your side in the war with the fuzzy-tailed rat-varmints! I have a huge walnut tree from which I get absolutely no walnuts or hazelnuts anymore. These squirrels (black/gray) were imported to Vancouver's Stanley Park (BC) from the east in the early 20th century. They are now ubiquitous in my city. And somebody's been eating my nearly-ripe grapes. Argh.

    ReplyDelete