Sunday, July 26, 2015

soggy Sunday


in which our plucky heroine gets unexpectedly soaked to the skin, but managed to rotate assorted mop buckets and pour almost forty gallons of water into one of the empty water barrels...

We had about a half hour long cloudburst this afternoon. Very rare indeed is any rain at all here during the late spring through early autumn. This, the rain plus the stored water, will be a great help to keeping pet plants (strawberry starts, feral grapevine, frontyard potted figs, rhubarb) alive for the rest of the summer. Someday will hopefully have the resources to build a system in place to actually channel downspout water into the barrels without requiring hand carrying three gallon buckets from assorted downspouts... but water in storage for plant watering later is a big win!

4 comments:

  1. Please send some rain this way! My tomatoes are looking sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Water rights in Colorado are fought over. Strangest one to me is that it is illegal to capture water from downspouts; that water belongs to people downriver. It seems to me the water is delayed only; it would eventually reach them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought back memories of when I was young we had a cistern and a tin roof. After the rain washed the roof off we would run around and hook the guttering up to run into the cistern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosey - we don't usually get any rain at all from late spring to early autumn, despite the tales of Portland being always rainy, it rains here in the winter, mostly instead of snowing, for which I am very grateful, I love grey rainy days best of all.

    Carol - water rights and water law is very wierd and patchworked from state to state... I am glad I live in a state that allows me to catch the water from my roof. From what I have read about Colorado, it is not legal to collect and store water from downspouts though it is legal to direct it into the garden

    Dawn - if only I had a metal roof on Acorn Cottage, I could store the water for my own use as well as my plants. The roof here is asphalt shingles, so not safe for drinking even if filtered, but should be okay for the garden. When I lived in Idaho, the house had a cistern, but it was cracked, so we brought water in in five gallon buckets, on a sledge. I learned a lot of water conserving measures that year, and never take the blessing and gift of running water for granted. I am also very grateful I no longer have to bathe and wash my hair with one small pitcher of heated on the woodstove water...

    ReplyDelete