Friday, June 19, 2015

random lepidoptera and other fragments


...in a world full of sorrow, terror and horror, our plucky heroine wonders if it is disingenuous to put my attention on finding the something to notice that is beautiful or fascinating? To do that, however, is often my only way of getting through the day, the fragments of beauty and joy in the natural world, or in the interactions with people, are what I treasure as a bulwark, they are the prayer beads I tell...

It seems to be butterfly month, as this morning there was a very small visitor to Acorn Cottage waiting on the porch...

... and earlier this week there were two tiger swallowtail butterflies dancing around each other in the middle of the street. Apparently it is their mating season.
:::

Eight little strawberries, yum yum yum... Maybe next year there will be enough, and my rhubarb will cooperate, and I can make a little jar of my own homegrown preserves...
:::

I've been thinking that a useful way to hold assorted structures together, something more durable than zip ties, would be very useful around the homeplace... After all there are lightweight chook tunnels, and moveable protective netting supports, and a variety of other gardenish projects that are simply waiting on a way to construct them. So far I have found two different wire clamping tools, both of which use stainless steel wire, but with slightly different ways of tightening the wires: the Haywire Klamper, and the Clamptite Tool... but without actually having said tool available to try out, there is no way to know if my wee little paws will be able to use them.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, how did you ever find these tools! They look like they would be very useful around the homestead.

    My spiritual practice is, every night as I lay my head on my pillow, to think of ten things that brought me pleasure during the day. They can be things of beauty or kindness or things accomplished. This is a way of noticing the bounty bestowed on me, and has resulted in a joyful life. I find myself noticing things throughout the day and thinking, oh! that will go on my list tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I am glad to know that I am not the only one with a practice of gratitude... it has sustained me through some very hard times...

      As far as the wire tools, I remembered seeing the one in the Lee Valley catalog (a dangerous wish book for tool junkies like me) but couldn't remember what it was called, and when googleing, found the other one as well

      Delete
  2. Haywire Klamper is a genius name for a product. If I had to decide, I'd go for that one. They do look like nifty tools. And of course that Lee Valley catalog is just like a Richard Scarry book for tool junkies!!

    ReplyDelete