Monday, June 15, 2015

Monday monday musings and media


in which our plucky heroine is beginning to suspect that the part of a project that involves cutting out the pieces and prepping to do the actual work is the part that takes the most time, at least in all the various artisanry things that I do...

This is just lovely, a beautifully done short film of an inspiring artist:
:::

An envelope of Senior Farm Direct checks arrived in my mailbox today, which means that our plucky heroine had good luck in the benefit lottery and now has an additional "six $4 checks ($24 total)" to spend at local farmers' markets or farm stands this growing season. Incremental assistance is still a helpful thing. Considering how best to distribute this bounty, which can only be used for produce(vegetables, fruit, and herbs) and not for any other foodstuff or sadly, not for live food plants; am thinking that at the least, saving some of it for winter storage squash would be a good idea...
:::

The random tiny succulent bits, starting to grow in the cupcake tin, are also flowering. Not sure if this means that they are happy, or that they are convinced that "oh god oh god we are all going to die!" But the flowers, barely an eighth of an inch across, sure are charming...
:::

There is nothing quite as pleasant as hands using handmade. There are some spoons in my kitchen made by my friend the artist/shaman Seb. Every time they help me cook a meal, I notice both the beauty and the function that make part of the everyday special. That is the world I dream to live in...
:::

Every day an effort to put in at least twenty minutes on my own clothing refurbishment and renewal. Which over time and like pulling teeth, got the grey popover dress completed, and I love wearing it. Mostly because of how the cloth floats barely touching me, and how the various textures and colors please my eyes. Another popover begun, using some black/white batik rayon, and learning from the former dress, this time the pocket openings are measured out to be stitched prior to assembly of the garment. A slightly different edging, not folded and geometric, but wavy edges to be done in needleturn applique:
:::

This is so worth reading... some of the most basic things I took for granted as a child, the good locality of outdoor and unsupervised, that I and my friends inhabited, is a part of life that is apparently mostly disappeared, in the name of "safety"? But life itself is not safe...




No comments:

Post a Comment