Saturday, May 2, 2015

Saturday snippets


in which our plucky heroine makes a confession, and continues making incremental progress...

I was naughty, in the "eat dessert first" mode: instead of starting out Saturday by diving into my weekend work, a trip to the Ceramics Showcase 2015 happened, (because only happens once a year)

This small bowl needed to come home with me, the brushwork is just delightful... the bowl fits neatly in my hands, and is just the right size for a me-sized portion of a meal; inside the bowl, there is painted a wee little singing bird.

:::

There is a corner, not on my street but a block or two away, where people leave things that they don't want. Earlier this year there was a huge pile of dog bones, not the skeleton of a dog, but the sort of bones that people buy at the store for their pets to gnaw... a small portion of that pile is sitting in my yard waiting for a chance to saw slabs from them to use for making Viking style tablet weaving cards. Most recently there was a child size Ikea table and chair; the chair went away almost immediately, but the table has been sitting there almost a week now...

I ride my bike some every day it isn't either raining or unbearably hot, and while riding to the grocery store, I had the idea that this small table, not really in great condition for actual child's use, would could be modified as an excellent framework (if turned upside down)to support a chicken roost, as well as being a sort of drawer to empty dirty hen bedding... The plan being to get some young hens soon, am negotiating for three Black Australorps
:::


the pastel dress shows the rectangle/triangle construction; the last picture shows the "twirl factor"
Two of the three dresses in the photo are already worn to raveled bits, and the ones still holding together are several years old, so a new dress or several is a good idea! While looking through my fabric stash for inspiration and/or dress lengths, I found a grey rayon popover dress that I'd cut out all most of the pieces for, back in 2013, and never stitched together. Stitching this up will be my next "sewing for me" project, as having a few of these dresses hanging in the closet makes getting dressed in hot weather easy and simple.
:::

Have performed ritual obeisance this evening to the god of the short grass, which took twice the time as usual because my front yard is now full of large wood chips from the folks who took down the terrifyingly large-rooted maple trees next door, and I had to both rake and hand pick the chips, in order to be able to use the reel mower. Instead of being upset, I have tried to reframe it as "some folks pay a lot of money to go to the gym, I get to have a short grass yard, and lots of bending and pushing and walking back and forth, and I don't have to even pay extra electric for it"! The reframing worked but boy howdy am I tired!!
:::

May SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 - front yard mowed bin of twigs
2 - - -
3 - - -
4 - - -
5 - - -
6 - - -

8 comments:

  1. I can see why that bowl had to come home with you, it may be small but seems perfectly formed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the size fits my tiny hands, stands nicely on the table, and the lip of the bowl is well formed, smooth, and just right for either sipping or spooning. Plus it will aid in portion control, which is also a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that little bowl too! Especially the singing bird. Adorable. So who needs to go to the gym anyway? Gardening is great exercise. Get involved in the real world and use that positive energy for good, I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, I don't tend to think of mowing the lawn as "gardening" as much as some odd sort of yard based housework... but you are right!

      Delete
  4. I hope you can secure those nice chickens - they are very good looking! That little birdie in the bowl is really a find! Good eye, I say!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got my fingers crossed, and am waiting to hear back from the chicken lady... I need to get mostly grown pullets not baby chicks, since the house is far too small to raise up some baby chickens!

      Delete
  5. Alison Your rectangle/triangle dress is a wonderfully artistic design, as are all your creations! Do you have a line drawing of it? Love the little bowl with the birdie inside too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terri - thank you... the popover dress is an adaptation of a Nani Iro design, which is found here: http://naniiro.jp/textile/pdf/2009/storeeto_wanpi.pdf Of course, I changed up the pattern quite a bit, with a different neckline, plus adding triangular gores between the central and side panels, and on either side seam. I originally made it up as part of a Japanese pattern sew along over at Stitcher's Guild in the summer of 2010: http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,10454.0.html The added triangles are more clearly seen here in this photo: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-v9UjR8ZF-nU/TDLoNcpW3uI/AAAAAAAAA7Q/_SYxxMoYuTE/s800/paledress.jpg If it would be helpful to you, I can certainly draw up a diagram, just message me...

    ReplyDelete