Wednesday, May 13, 2015

little green men


in which our plucky heroine counts her verdant blessings...

Well... that was awesome! I poked my nose out the front door, to gather some greens to cook for dinner and to take out the compost, and much to my surprise, I scared off a hummingbird that was hovering in the sage blossoms! So not only are they honeybee habitat, but also hummingbird... What this tells me is that there are hummingbirds around, and should I manage to plant suitable flowering plants, I might see them more often...
:::

Our plucky heroine was feeling well enough (after being sick for several days) to sit on the front porch, eating for my supper tonight: garden fresh greens, steamed atop some already sauteed onion, garlic, and mushroom, then mixed with some cottage cheese for protein... and looking at the verdant salad/greens table thought: "this is what happy tastes like"!

You can barely tell, looking at the salad table plantings, that I cut out an entire portion of dinner greenery, since they are still really full. I mostly cut the mustard greens since they are not a favorite for eating raw, and quite a bit of the mizuna, and some tah tsai. The lettuces are best raw, rather than cooked, but it is still delighting me to have fresh greenery to munch on every day, that would be impossible to grow easily in the ground, because slugs would eat it all. The counterbalance is that it requires frequent watering, but since dishes are washed often, the water caught (while waiting for hot water) is perfectly suited.

I shall have to study Salad Leaves for All Seasons to find out which greens will be best for planting next (possibly some purslane?) and will probably also attempt cilantro, since that will be good for salsa verde later in the year. The difference between the two trays that I focused on thinning out while they were growing up and the two that were more neglected is obvious; the thinned ones, while they are just as full of greenery, are significantly easier to harvest individual leaves, contrary to what I expected. The plants in the unthinned ones are much more attenuated, and it is more difficult to choose what to pick. I ought remember this for the next sowing.
:::



Started working this week on the next yoke embroidery for a new Viking tunic for Mr. Robertson... the little Norse woodworking guys will be stitched in green floss, on some dark indigo linen
a closer view ...
because of the scale of the details, I chose to do outline stitch instead of couching, though if I'd had some more tightly spun floss, couching could have worked. I estimate this will take somewhere upwards of ten to twelve hours, as I've over an hour into it already, not counting the design work. Fortunately this is work I do in the interstices where no other useful work can be done.

:::
May SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 big garden bed front yard mowed bin of twigs
2 Mindy underdress strawberries planted bin of brush
3 Laurel underdress blackcurrant planted random plastic
4 Norseguy embroidery design fridge plinth drawer -
5 - chook house moved -
6 - - -

3 comments:

  1. I am so envious of your salad box planter! We made one but the poor lettuces are not growing very well, alas. I carefully harvested leaves to make one (1) salad but the plants have not grown very much. We're going to try again with some smaller planter boxes that get more light and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, the planter boxes I am using are not very deep, being made of 1x4's. I did use some spiffy brand-new high quality potting soil, and they were set in quite a sunny spot to begin with (the south side of the front porch), up until last weekend. I hope you have equal success!
    http://extension.umd.edu/growit/food-gardening-101/salad-tables%E2%84%A2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I think we are going to start another salad table in a sunnier spot!

    ReplyDelete