Friday, May 8, 2015

Friday fragments


in which our plucky heroine notes a few of the many things...

The culinary sage at the start of the front walkway is blooming! This venerable plant lived for many years in a pot, as I wandered from place to place, before it was the first plant in the ground, when I found my home here at Acorn Cottage. Last year I pruned it back by a third, as it is quite leggy and overhangs the walkway to the front door. The flowers are so beautiful that pruning needs wait 'til after blossoming, but another year or two will see it rejuvenated and hopefully good for many more years of visual and culinary delight
:::

Had a bout of website foo, not sure why, and the hosting company isn't answering my queries. Fortunately my site is back up, and after much paperwork online and hours spent talking with customer service people, I at least now have access to my domain registration again. Step the first in an eventual website upgrade and transfer to a new host. Not what I wanted to spend time on this week, but needed done.  Been seven years since I did anything with the site, I've a few ideas for the future site update, and am annotating my list of things I like for future reference. As always, more to do than hours to do it in...
:::

81F on the front porch in the shade this afternoon. This does not bode well for summer... really want some very narrow vertical tower fans to put in my 3" vertical window gaps, something that does not exist as a product available for purchase. I have some minimal electrical fixit skills, can replace light fixtures and stuff like that, but I don't know enough to actually BUILD things, andam hoping to find someone who can give me some guidance. Have been unsuccessful in finding the intermediate knowledge to get from where I am to the next more complicated phase... For example there are instructions for how to combine computer fans into a larger array, but when I read it, I have no understanding of what the writer is assuming you know how to do, so frustrating!!
:::

Applied the two homemade bias bands to the grey dress hemline. The new thrifted iron I picked up recently has the exciting feature of actual steam comes out when I fill the water tank; I'd forgotten what a big help that can be! The bias tape is made from an Asian patterned cotton, in a very interesting colorway with pale cool smoke blue, taupe, dark grey, ashes of roses, and metallic gold, all on a black background.
There wasn't enough of the cotton to make a whole garment, but as an accent trim it will do very nicely, and the dark grey, taupe, and smoke blue coordinate well with the wardrobe I already have, which means that is cooler weather, this will be a good autumn layering piece; I can imagine it worn over a black petticoat and my stripey black/grey turtleneck, for example. But since the weather is trundling relentlessly in the direction of over 80F, it will do nicely for a hot weather garment all by itself!
:::

After finishing up the hem binding last night, decided to take a partway-done picture in the daylight...  Did not realise when assembling already cut out parts, just how long the dress was, and that the hemline is substantially irregular, in a symmetric way, being longer on the sides than front/back, due to the ratio difference between my shoulders and my circumference.

My initial thought was that it really needs fixed, but then I began to wonder... Steph just made a lovely summer dress with a purposefully irregular hemline, and it seems that a level hemline is not necessarily the only acceptable style option?

I still need to deal with the sleeve/armscye hems, which won't be bias bound, but will get a "baby hem" as that is less obtrusive. Not sure yet whether I will do patch pockets or faux welt pockets, but I do know that I will be using some homemade spray starch* for stabilising to make handling and sewing them a lot easier. It works like a treat for all sorts of washable cranky fabrics, as the starch can simply be rinsed away at the end, after it does the work of keeping slippery raveley or curly fabrics nice and flat and well behaved.

* 1c H2O + 1 T cornstarch, mix well and either spray, soak, or brush on...

(note: for some reason the photo has my two arms two very different lengths, trust me, this is an artifact of the camera, my arms are reasonably symmetrical)

1 comment:

  1. I really like that interesting hem line and the cute keyhole neck. Glad you didn't cut the hem straighter!

    ReplyDelete