Wednesday, April 1, 2015

out at the end of the bell curve...


...in which our plucky heroine bravely returns to personal sewing...

With the intention to defibrillate my sewing mojo I decided to make an apron, because it shouldn't need much fitting, right? Hah! the original pattern was sized and shaped for a cylindrical bean pole.
The lefthand photo is the apron sewn with just two modifications: I added in an extra side panel between the front and the back, because I am larger in diameter than the standard pattern sizes, and I cut off some of the extra length of the shoulder straps, because before I did that the whole thing was about eight inches lower, and the "skirt" portion of the apron hung closer to my knees, leaving more of my torso uncovered.

The place where I am proportionately short is between my chest and my waist. It might have been better for me to shorten the pattern there instead of at the shoulder straps. I may try that next time, and also try making it just a little longer overall. I strongly suggest making a sample in scrap fabric before committing special fabric... for those who are closer to the middle of the bell curve (less stout, and taller), it may fit just fine as drafted

Next step is to reshape the sides to avoid the appearance of "clown pockets"; the righthand photo shows how it looks with an angled seam pinned into the sides That done, I can then add actual pockets and bind the edges. This is actually a clever apron, with a criss-cross mobius-style back, that should stay put without need for waist ties, and that topological quirk will allow the raw edges to be bound all in one go, (says the girl who loves finishing edges with homemade bias binding)

This apron is similar in some ways to house aprons from the early 20thC; I am REALLY liking that it doesn't tie at the waistline. I am going to customise the pocketing rather than use the pattern pockets, I want big useful storage patch style pockets on the skirt, and at least two bib pockets, (small inside larger) because a pedometer pocket is a necessity... Another apron in denim or canvas would make an excellent workroom apron for shop and garden...

3 comments:

  1. Its looking good and the changes sound like it'll be really useful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info on this pattern! I love capacious aprons and this one should work well if the sides are filled in somehow; I appreciate your modifications information. It reminds me of one I envied on a visitor from Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pattern reminds me of design diagrams I've seen in Japanese sewing books...

    ReplyDelete