Wednesday, March 25, 2015

wishful wednesday... or in praise of procrastination


... in which our plucky heroine discovers that (once in a blue moon) procrastination pays off...

I hadn't managed to get down to REI yet to purchase a new camp mattress, which will complement the new sturdy camping cot for this years upgrade to tourney kit, and make it easier to pack small for transport. Today my REI dividend came in the mail, along with a coupon good for 20% off one full price item... Can you say nice new cushy camp bed at a discount!
:::

The Bartlett pear in the back yard is covered with blossoms this week... I sure hope it gets warm enough and stops raining just long enough for a few pollinators to make it around the neighborhood, it would be amazing to have pears again this year!

There were quite a few pears last year, which were delicious. I found good information on how to ripen them at this OSU site, and managed to do a not too bad job of thinning the baby pears so that the tree was able to produce pears of a good size for eating rather than many tiny pears of extreme silliness...
:::

...and just because this is one of my favorite songs of all time, and because the message is timeless, and because I never stop missing the ephemeral beauty that leaves the bright world too quickly:

Kate Wolf - January 1942 to December 1986 - R.I.P.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely music. "We've only got the times we're living in" seems a bit inaccurate to me when I listen to her beautiful voice -- we have her time, too, thanks to her recordings. Hearing old folk music recordings arouses so many feelings and memories, as I was alive, and living my life, when they were recorded.

    I envy you your pears. My neighbor and I share two pear trees which often produce bountifully. Sadly for us, squirrels eat every last pear, starting when the pears are little and green. They take a bite out of a pear, then throw it to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is probably my favorite of my many favorite Kate Wolf songs... I do feel fortunate in the folk (and other) music I heard when I was younger, and wistful about the singers I only discovered when seeing them live wasn't a possibility any more...

      I guess that mere luck has saved my tiny pear tree crop from being decimated by squirrels aka "tree rats" The pear tree here was planted in 2009, so not very old as trees go, and currently pruned to be only about six feet tall. If fruit predation becomes an issue I can always throw some netting over it! I was once given a lovely gift of a hanging strawberry basket planter, and before even one of the strawberries became ripe enough to eat, a squirrel ate or pulled off every one of the pale green unripe berries. I bad-temperedly wished the little rodent a belly ache!!

      Delete
  2. I am giggling at the "many tiny pears of extreme silliness..."

    Our primary garden predators who eat our strawberries, cherry tomatoes, pea pods, etc are our very own dogs, who use the garden as their grazing pasture! This year I am going to protect the strawberries from their doggy mouths and teeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Claire... maybe you need some doggish chunnels for your beloved pooches... I remember one time I went blueberry picking with Smokey, and she very daintily picked her own sweet blueberry treats!

      Delete