Tuesday, March 24, 2015

springtime sprouting


...in which our plucky heroine takes advantage of a sunbreak to look around at the new growth in various frontyard plantings...

Today the first bits of sprouting seedlings were evident in the salad table! Since I planted primarily "mild mesclun mix" I have no way of knowing exactly what they are, other than that in a month or two they will be in the kitchen if all goes well! A week of temperatures ranging from 50F+ down to mid 40's seems to have been just right...

and a closer look at a seedling in the salad table

The dwarf lilac, a gift several years ago from Elfrieda, is almost ready to flower...

The horseradish root that my friend Freydis brought me from her garden, is now vigorously sending up new growth

One of the two sad rhubarb that were transplanted into the parking strip planter is now sending up a new leaf; when they first break through they look a lot like little green brains...

The ubiquitous Euphorbia chiracias wulfenii... Some may call it a thug, but I have nothing but good thoughts about a plant that happily makes itself at home in my yard with no effort on my part, yet is easily removed if desired... true, it isn't edible, or particularly good as a cut flower, but that vivid chartruse is lovely.

2 comments:

  1. I've had good success with extremely heavily sown mesclun or other non-hearting lettuce mixes - a packet of seed in a window box sized trough. It comes up as an attractive shag carpet of leaves, and you can then keep picking the leaves as they form. However you do it, it's always a thrill to see the new shoots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rather excited, since I am not particularly of the Green Thumb Clan, and yet I love fresh tasty green things in my daily meals; there will be updates on the Grand Experiment as time goes by...

      Delete