Monday, March 30, 2015

Monday musings: in search of the lost mojo...


...in which our plucky heroine notices a sort of odd dilemma...

There has been no sewing for myself for at least a year, and am feeling pretty frustrated. I have no difficulty sewing for other people; several of my friends have had lovely additions to their wardrobes either modern or medieval. My last self-sewn wardrobe contributions were early in 2013; since I don't purchase clothing for myself, my closet contents are looking fairly worn. Some of my hesitation is since I have gained a lot of, some, weight, all of my assorted TNT patterns (that make up the components of my chosen wardrobe) are in need of refitting, which is somewhat daunting and very discouraging.

With the intention of taking a small kaizen step in kindness towards self, I am going to sew a kitchen apron, because that will require little in the way of fitting, will use some fun fabric I have set aside in my stash, and is, in fact, something that has been definitely needed in my everyday wardrobe... I will be using this free pattern, and this funky barkcloth (someone gave me several large pieces of it, and for some reason the metallic gold "dandelion seeds" printed all over it just make me smile):

:::

This last weekend was fairly busy, as Saturday was my workshop on "Block Printing for Heraldic Display", intended to encourage folks to carve a simple block to use for printing on fabric or other flat materials. Here are four different examples of either partially finished or completed prints... My students did well in the two hour class

While they were working on their carvings, I started carving a block with a Japanese floral motif. My plan is to decoratively print the fabric for the outer layer of the kosode to wear to Honor Feast this autumn... there are at least two more designs I will need to carve, to get the effect desired

:::

For some reason, "lost mojo" transmogrified into a memory of this album, one of the very first ones I bought for myself decades ago:

:::

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that apron pattern - it looks ideal for arthritic fingers. As I have a bad habit of drying my hands on my situpon I now use a tabard-style which I make using a pillowslip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found the link to be potentially helpful... I'll be posting how the experiment progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great pattern, hope it tempts the mojo out of hiding

    ReplyDelete