... in which our plucky heroine has adventures of the mixed media sort, with a small interlude of unintentional drama...
This past weekend was a fantastic visit from all of Blue Cedar House including the children. I have been busy for the last several weeks, making these three their first set of Viking Age clothing, and this is the result of my labors. They are intending to start doing SCA activities this year, and I want them to have comfortable clothing that will work well and look good.
Now that I have the basic patterning for them down, the next step is to make up several more sets, so that they can go for an entire camping weekend... which will entail another two sets of clothing and hopefully a woolen cloak and hat for each of them. Their daughter already has a small hooded woolen cloak that I made several years ago for her. It is going to be all kinds of fun to be able to share my favorite recreation with my dear friends!
There was quite a bit of outdoor refurbishment this last weekend, as my March SMART goals chart now shows...
The backyard had an expansion of the mulched area... all the darker brown patches are new. We took an evening trip to Ikea to harvest large pieces of cardboard to layer underneath the wood chips; Mindy and Heather both worked on the yard this weekend
here is what it looked like before we started, back in 2013)
In the backyard, former owners planted this arborvitae much too close to the house, and it was pressing in on the corner and the eaves. Mr Robertson cut back just the half of it, so now there is air circulation around the house edges instead of moisture being held against the siding and eaves...
On an earlier visit Mr Robertson sweetly cut me three pieces of plywood that I intended to mosaic for new front windowsills... neither of us noticed at the time that what I thought was red paint was actually flocking!! I sent the boards home with him last month, so the fuzzy surface could be sanded down... Apparently the red color stained the plywood, but I rather like the effect, and may just leave it as red-stained woodgrain. Once I paint the window trim (indigo/black), and repair the front windowsill edges, this long drawn-out repair will be completed...
In the middle of the long weekend visit we took some time out to celebrate Pi Day/Crafternoon, and who better to celebrate with than the folks with the household motto "Si moriturus es, morere plenus tortae"*... There was a splendid mixture of Portland and Olympia, and good conversation and project progress as well as the requisite refreshments - pie and more pie! For dinner later that night, the entire Crafternoon gang ended up staying, and we had the most delectable and convival suppertime
I made up a few dozen fig jam tartlettes...
... and Heather and Mindy made a blueberry custard pie with streusel topping and a pecan pie (all of these intended for Crafternoon nibbling)
but the real piece de resistance of the day was this fragrant and tasty dinner pie...
All in all it was a totally splendid and productive multi-day shindig, up until Sunday afternoon, when I ended up with a wasp sting, after disturbing a piece of roof moss on the shed, which apparently had a wasp queen sleeping inside it. I broke The Blue Cedar House rule about it is all good fun as long as no one ends up needing to go to the ER... I was very grateful to have folks here when this happened. Two days of prescription Benedryl later, my hand is back to normal, but those two days were pretty much a total loss...
March SMART goals
March SMART goals
|#||THINGS MADE||THINGS FIXED||THINGS GONE|
|1||ginger candied peel||sill boards sanded||yard waste bin|
|2||9 tiny enamels||front yard weeded|
|3||9 brooch settings||close plum pruned|
|4||Bill SCA pants||more mulch spread||-|
|5||Mindy undergown||apple tree pruned||-|
|6||Mindy embroidery||arborvitae pruned||-|
|7||Mindy aprondress||salad table trays||-|
|8||Laurel underdress||worm bin renovated||-|
*"if you are going to die, die full of pie"