Sunday, March 22, 2015

good things come in small packages


...in which our plucky heroine unpacks some very tiny boxes...

There was squee-ing last night when I opened the box! A pair of very wee origami silver Akita earrings, a gift from my pal Raven... they are perfectly detailed and perfectly delightful.

As a young child I spent a lot of time folding origami; I remember how to fold a crane and probably a "flapping bird", but now I want to look up and see if I can find instructions for this design. Honor Feast (this October) has a Japanese theme this year after all...

In addition, just last week I indulged myself in tiny whimsical online shopping treat, intended as artwork components. The reverse sides show counter enamel; (in various colors, much to my delight) somehow it didn't occur to me that they would be made from vitreous enamel...

... and the front sides are elegantly detailed... yes they are pocketwatch clock faces, and no I am not turning steampunk! All of the white ones are true enamel, the black one is painted. I am particularly pleased that some of them are from the Waltham Watch Factory; decades ago my first apartment was within walking distance of that location along the Charles River where it passes through Waltham, though the factory itself had long since been closed...

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you do with the watch faces! I'm intrigued that you noticed the enameling; that's a detail that would have just gone right over my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given that one of my primary art forms is enameling, I rather have "enamel radar"

    ReplyDelete