Thursday, December 11, 2014

Throwback Thursday and other tidbits...


... in which you see our plucky heroine (in the back) and her little sister picking berries by the side of the road....

Whilst sorting through random papers, found a travel journal from when I was seven, from an iconic family trip to New Brunswick. Along with pieces of seaweed, and my lost tooth, both stuck to the fragile manila paper with Scotch tape, were three square photographs. One of us dwarfed by rock formations at Hopewell Cape, one of a house on fire, and this charming image. Shall have to acquire some safe clear envelopes to put these in, as I have very vivid memories of that trip, and this is memorabilia to be saved. We spent a number of days camping and attending the New Brunswick School of Craft, where my father did wood-turning, my mother did enameling on copper, and I made baskets. Though the baskets and the enameled horse are long lost in the mists of time, the bowl and platter, turned from birdseye maple, remain treasured possessions. That trip was the first time I knew that enamels were made by real people, not just part of machinery and vehicles.
:::

Apparently the intrepid Ruth, Peter and Tom are at it again! How did I find out, but by reading the blog Hibernaatiopesäke where Mervi (famed for "Applesies and Foxnoses") wrote about a trip from Finland to England to help sew the clothing for the BBC series "Secrets of the Castle"...
:::

Years ago when preparing to graduate college, with no desire to pay money to rent a "cap and gown" made from green polyester (which seemed the very antithesis of both my ethics and lifestyle) our plucky heroine stitched up a tunic in gemlike colors, but mostly green printed rayon, and wore that over a black skirt? instead. Over the years, the tunic became part of a summer dress, which then ended up (where else) but in the stash of bits and bobs that fill far too much of the sewing space. While hunting for slip-dress ingredients, it came to light, and surely, with only a bit of adaptation, can easily take on a third life as a slip-dress, all that is needed is to cut away and bind the armscye and neckline. Nothing is wasted here...
:::

Woke up this morning with a Very Scratchy Throat, which has been hanging around for several days now, despite topical applications of Lemon, Honey, and Echinacea tea. Early bedtime might be in order. Have kept busy stitching away at kitty face needlebooks; currently have orders for six different ones, which will be a nice addition to the holiday season budget. They are such fun to make, and their new owners always seem to appreciate the useful whimsey! Fortunately, this is work that can be done in bits and pieces, as the fighting off being ill for the last several days had limited my stamina and focus.

3 comments:

  1. A genuine unsolicited testimonial: I have a kitty face needle book and it changed my life. Thanks to Kitty Face I can now make bound buttonholes! And I feel happy every time I see it. A Kitty Face by Alison is a magical object!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Claire! While stitching away on the kitty faces last night I had a number of new ideas for needlebooks, such as a fox face, or a pig face, or maybe even a bunny face...

    ReplyDelete
  3. all of those faces would be fabulous as needlebooks! kitties will always be my favorites though!

    ReplyDelete