Tuesday, December 2, 2014

3 random Tuesday tidbits, including increased coping skills


Two possible Latin translations of "if you are going to die, die full of pie!", courtesy of  Steven Mesnick via the Latin for Scadians Discussion group on Facebook...
Si moriturus es, morere plenus tortae
  or possibly
Si tibi moriendum erit, moritor plenus tortae
:::

Last week when the Blue Cedar House folks were here for the holiday, while no new housey projects were completed, the bathtub surround moulding was shaped to fit the wonky contours, and Mr R showed me the clever trick of how to mark a coped edge, using parallel markers. Now that concept is another tool in my toolbox, yay! Today, after turning on the little space heater so as to not immediately freeze when exiting said bathing facility, it occured to me that it might not be necessary to wait for late spring to finish the bathroom trim... it should be possible to paint the assorted moulding in the warmth! All I need is a little table to hold the paint and the wood bits.
:::

Solitary Foxen is almost three-quarters finished! Keeps being put on hold as there are many more urgent handwork projects this time of year than one utterly self-indulgent and fascinating wooly wrap... Pretty much any time I have it out with me in public, usually knitting on the bus or waiting for transit, I get questions and appreciations of how it looks. Never had a piece of knitting generate so much commentary from entire strangers, a number of whom wonder if it is some combination of knitting and crochet, probably because of the convolutions. I suspect that when it is finished, no one (except other knitters) will assume it is a homemade handknit, because it is so unusual. Looking forward to the eventual finish, not because I want the knitting of it to be done, but because wearing it will be a delight!

5 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. I am in awe of your many talents. Wear this proudly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Terri - thank you so much for your kind words! My plan/hope for this is that it will coordinate with basically my entire wardrobe - the knitting pattern designer was inspired in her construction by some of the Missoni knitwear, and with the Fox Paws pattern it is easy to use a multiplicity of colors and have them look well together

    ReplyDelete
  3. The knitting is beautiful, it has a rather designer look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison the fox paw knitting is delightful to look at, no wonder people ask you about it. It is just on the edge of unbelievable b/c it's so complex and beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing you wearing it with your moto-jacket or raincoat! (I can't remember if I told you this but I have abandoned Vogue 1212. That is the small problem of starting a project and letting is ferment for a few months. The project just did not look compelling to me any more. I'm glad to be on the sidelines cheering on Team Alison in the Vogue 1212 Finals!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you Ruthie and Claire both for your compliments on the Fox Paws...

    Claire, I have also abandoned the Vogue 1212, as an entire garment, and will be using parts of it as "components" instead. I love the collar and want to play with that as an option either on a raincoat or even on a knit top... I have an idea to make the raincoat using simple rectangular construction, with triangular gores for adding width, which is what I use for a lot of my medieval and viking-age clothing... it is less "fitted" but for an overcoat that is not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete