Saturday, November 15, 2014

warmer, a start


in which our plucky heroine makes slow progress against the chill winter...

One thing that does help against the howling wind which seems to pull any warmth away from the exterior, is insulation. While actually adding insulation to the walls is a Major Project, and despite the fact that the windows here are actually good thermal layered glass, since the windows are even more cold to the touch than the walls, Something Must Be Done...

I decided that adding at least one layer of clear bubblepack to as many windows as possible would be an inexpensive and simple way to make a difference (two layers would be even better) In the summer I cover some of the windows against the heat with mylar bubblepack insulation, but in the winter, more light really makes a difference, and the mylar is opaque.

It takes longer than I expected to tape together the bubblepack into large pieces to cover the window entirely, but since I've not been able to find any not already cut into one foot wide rolls, it is necessary. I use the scraps to form a channel at the top edge, and a spring loaded curtain rod to hold them in place. Hopefully it will make a difference in cutting down on the air convection and thereby cutting down on the interior cooling.

When I first moved here, I made Warm Window™ quilts, in the form of tidy roman shades, for the kitchen windows, but was horrified to find out years later that the spendy proprietary filling for them is not washable! That cured me of wanting to make more using the readymade window insulation, despite the fact that they do work quite well... Eventually I want to make window cornices, and possibly figure out a different sort of insulated window covering, more DIY and less labor intensive. There are some useful suggestions from the University of Maine. Another possibility is making wooden interior storm windows, that can have either clear (or mylar) insulative layers added as desired...
:::

November SMART goal challenge
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 Norse collar embroidery bubblepack windows broken cot
2 Mindy cuffs * bag to Goodwill
3 * * bag to Goodwill
4 * * ----------
5 * * ----------
6 * * ----------
7 * ---------- ----------
8 * ---------- ----------
9 * ---------- ----------
10 * ---------- ----------
11 * ---------- ----------
:::

4 comments:

  1. Though Styrofoam makes the rooms dark, they are great for windows to keep out the cold. We use to use the plastic that you blow dry to make them tight. They were great for light and worked okay. I also used lined drapes for the cold winter nights. So bubble wrap and curtains could do the trick.
    I hope the weather warms up again. For me it isn't the cold temperatures, it is the wind. I hate it at the best of times. Add the cold weather to it and it makes me cranky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall send warming thoughts in your direction! If I didn't mind the rooms being dark, I'd just use the Reflectix, as that is actually sold to be used as insulation, and works quite well, but I don't want to feel like a mole in the wintertime. I do use it in the summer, because as I've probably mentioned, I can always put on more layers, but when it is hot there is a limit to what you can do to cool off... I just want the weather to moderate a bit...

      Delete
  2. I just saw somewhere online where they used second hand comforters to make winter curtains/ shades. It's actually something I have been thinking about the past few days. I may also make one to cover a door in our room that goes outside but we won't be using until spring. With morning temps in the negatives the norm here something must be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insulated curtains or shades will help a lot... even a blanket makes a big difference! I have thought about hanging a curtain across where the doors are, because they aren't that weathertight around the edges.

      The thing to be concerned about is if there is moist air trapped, it can become a mold farm... however, as you are east of the mountains I think it is a lot dryer air where you are, so that wouldn't be as much of a problem...

      Delete