Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Tuesday tidbits


in which our plucky heroine tries not to crack up: less than six weeks ago it was 85F, later this week it is forecast to be in the low 30's with "ice pellets"... I might just break into pieces from thermal shock

Currently am playing with some of the design elements from the Valsgarde embroidery, to use as decoration on an underdress for Mindy of Blue Cedar House; the linen for cuffs and neckline facing was indigo dyed by Freydis, embroidery by me...
:::

Bought a big blue speckeldy enamel roasting pan, so I will be prepared to cook turkey for the many house guests later this month. Goodwill is my friend, in more than one sense of the word. I thought I already had one, but the nice big roaster I thought I had was really a nice big baking tin with shallow sides, useful for many things but not suitable for large birds...

Did an exponential leap... last Saturday 11058 was how many steps I took (almost four miles) I suspect that if I spent all day alternating between walkabout and sitting at this level all the time, it would be like when I went to France on vacation for two weeks and lost fifteen pounds without trying to. I am tired, and today I am really feeling how much walking I did this weekend at OryCon, my left knee is being crankypants, but the mere fact that I was able to walk that much is encouraging. My goal is to gently and kindheartedly do what I can to increase my stamina, if possible to the level it was at before my cancer journey began...
:::

the medlars are beginning to ripen - I have scooped out the squashy brown flesh and put it in the freezer, as each one has only a few teaspoons-worth. Yes I tasted it first, it is sort of vaguely apple-ish in a "tastes like chicken" way, and somewhat tart. I'm not getting the spicey-applesauce flavor that some have mentioned. It does seem like a good sort of "emergency wintertime fruit" but I am not feeling the immediate love that I had when I encountered quince for the first time...
:::

November SMART goal challenge
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 Norse collar embroidery * *
2 Mindy cuffs * *
3 * * ----------
4 * * ----------
5 * * ----------
6 * * ----------
7 * ---------- ----------
8 * ---------- ----------
9 * ---------- ----------
10 * ---------- ----------
11 * ---------- ----------
:::

3 comments:

  1. Funny thing about medlars. Read them here first. Then a week later my dear husband is showing me, I think a wiki page on them. Had to tell him, yup, Fjorlief beat you to educating me. lol I think he wants to find some now. Course he also wants a quince tree.

    Brigitta
    DM

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable is that kitty, my kitty's littermate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brigitta - both quinces and medlars are available from One Green World and Raintree Nursery, which are relatively local fruit tree sellers.

    Claire - this kitty is my faithful sewing companion, and as they have no paws, they never disturb the stitching or chase the threads!

    ReplyDelete