Wednesday, October 1, 2014

solitary foxen


...in which our plucky heroine returns to sticks and string...

Using my cardweaving fingering yarn, I knit a sample of the Fox Paws pattern one repeat deep and two repeats across, so as to get some idea of how this unusual and fascinating pattern works:
This flavor of knitting itself is quite anti-social, as I will need to really focus on the Very Complicated pattern to get all the increases and decreases correct, so no daydreaming, or hanging out chatting on this one… the pattern is mostly garter stitch, aside from the simple plain stockinette chevron section, with a most wild combination of increases and decreases to create the wonderful interlooped "fox paws".

Last week I ordered an assortment of yarn from KnitPicks in my favorite colors... all heathery darks and subtle tones, with a bit of opalescent bluegrey turquoise as an accent... This is going to be a beautiful coordinating light warm wrap, a new accessory for my cool weather clothing. No idea how long it will take to knit up, but it will be most satisfying in both the knitting and the future wearing...

Today I am grateful for knitting, which always brings an ongoing happiness in the process, a happy memory of being a child and learning from my mother the skills that serve me well my whole life long, a warmhearted glow at the kindness of a friend who gifted me with this pattern, and a steady foundation knowing that who I am is who I came in as; though scarred by the fires I've walked through, I am still that handicraft obsesssed child determined to add bits of beauty to the bright world by the works of her hands, and taking joy in the times I can share that knowledge with other folk on their own pathways...

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! That knitting is just beautiful. And what fine sentiments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, one fun thing that I found while decluttering last weekend was a science class report on the Fibonacci series that I wrote in 9th grade... not only was the entire thing hand written, but I drew all the diagrams, and then hand bound the report with a paper covered hand stitched Japanese style binding! I am still that girl...

    ReplyDelete