Friday, September 12, 2014

not bedknobs nor broomsticks...


In which artisanry and handicraft combine to create some pretty astonishing results...

Earlier this year our plucky heroine completed the three decorative cloisonné enamels that will be part of the new embellishment and refurbishment for the An Tir Orb of Royal Dominion, a venerable piece of Kingdom* regalia, which Bill Dawson and myself were granted a commission to elaborate and beautify...

←The larger photo shows the completed work...

The two smaller photos below are from earlier in the process showing the Orb partially fitted with the new decorative additions. The first one shows how two of the three upper bands fit between the demi-lion finial and the central band which is set with my enamels at the hinge plates. Still to be added are the lower bands and the supportive base.

The second photo below shows a slightly different view of the Orb, with a clearer view of one of the three different enamels that I made. The silver bands are set with semiprecious stones including Oregon sunstone, and pearl. The new embellishments will truly decorate the Orb in a way that is worthy of our fair Kingdom of An Tir. Bill Dawson is doing some truly impressive work here!

.


This picture gives an idea of the actual size of this piece of regalia, prior to our efforts...

:::

 I am grateful for the opportunity to help create lasting beauty with the work of my hands, that at least some of the hours of my life will go towards objects that will live on when I am dust in the wind... I joy in the bright world to see the handwork of those who came before me, and take comfort in the thought that with luck, those who come after will see my efforts and wonder...


may this gratitude contradict despair


* The Kingdom of An Tir is the part of the SCA that encompasses most of the Pacific Northwest region




2 comments:

  1. I am speechless. The orb is beautiful. Your enamels shine on that thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Claire! I am pretty pleased with how they look as part of a greater whole

    ReplyDelete